Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:33:55 -0600

Michael Reed wrote:

> ----------
> > From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
> >

> > I play micro armor, used to play LOTS of micro armor. Lossing a command
> > unit in a WWII game is MUCH worse than in WH40K, but no set of rules
> > that I know off prevents you for firing at the command elements if they
> > are out in sight. The problem is that in WH40K the a "special" figure
> > can, in most cases, eat a squad for lunch. Most command vehicles in the
> > real world are not even armed. A commander should be directing the
> > fight, not be the main point of the army. In E40K you get close to that
> > effect. The effect of having the commander close by is you get
> > "Stuborn" and get to re-roll CC results. The command elements, are, in
> > general, not all that powerful of detachments. This means that blowing
> > them away is a pain, but not a battle looser. I have seen WH40K games
> > be called because the captian got killed.
>
> You've missed the point, methinks. 40K, by its designers' declaration, isn't
> a realistic wargame - it's heroic fantasy in an SF setting, rather like Star
> Wars. Criticizing 40K for being unrealistic is the same as criticizing
> SW for being scientifically inaccurate; it's true, but (IMHO) misses the appeal
> of the game. Epic is considerably better on that count, but still inherits
> a lot of the fantasy elements; otherwise we wouldn't have tank companies
> being torn apart by howling packs of daemons. I couldn't honestly recommend
> either game to someone interested in realism.
> Mike Reed

Is every body missing my point? They have an unrealistic rule that they
try and paper over with a statement about REALISM. I'm not the one that
said that this is a realistic game, I know that, but the DESIGNERS use a
statement about "on a real battle field" to justify this rule. You
can't have your cake and eat too.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus