Re: [Epic] My Database, AGAIN

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 19:33:53 -0700

anvil_at_... wrote:

> Stephen Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Don't know if anyone ever received this message because of the list
> > errors, but, I am compiling a database of detachments, which I wish to
> > create for use by the list. therefore, I would like to see everyones
> > favourite playtested detachments for any race, so that I may put 'em all
> > together and give everyone a copy as a reference and source...
> > Mail them to me (s_sheldon_at_...) or the list...
> > Steve
> >
> These det's are a cohesive team, each with it's own task.
>
> Swarm 1 460pts, morale 10
> hive tyrant x1
> tyranid warrior x4
> temagant x15
> zoanthrope x1
> carnifex x3
> assault spawn x6
> this is the "tactical" detachment
>
> swarm 2 490 pts, morale 10
> hive tyrant x1
> tyranid warrior x4
> genestealer x10
> hormagaunt x10
> carnifex x5
> assault spawn x3
> this is the "assault" detachment
>
> swarm 3 544pts, morale 11
> tyranid warrior x4
> biovore x10
> dactylis x6
> exocrine x3
> this is the "devestator" detachment
>
> The battle plan is this, swarm 3 pounds the target detachment to
> paralyze with blast markers (they are on overwatch). Swarm 1 rushes up
> and shoots, hopefully inflicting casualties (they are on assault). Swarm
> 2 follows closely behind swarm 1 and assaults the target detachment.
> Thje stealers go in first so that the faster hormagaunts can penetrate
> deeply into the target. The carnifexi attack the most resilient units
> and the spawn try to get deep into the target as well.
> This army has eaten 1 warlord, 2 reavers, and innumerable marine and orc
> infantry. It was, however, beaten by orcs in sub-300 point detachments
> with a lot of firepower. Apparently, to many choices on the menu confuse
> hive tyrants.
>
> anvil

I was wondering if those detats weren't too big. I guess tyrannids
suffer less a liability from big units than most armies, since they
largely ignore the effects of blastmarkers and cheap firefights. You may
want to try splitting those in half, or adding a few more synapse
creatures to reduce the effect of SHW's picking them off. I haven't
played many big point tyrannid units (yet), so I may be completely off
base. I'm playing a 3000 point game of bugs vs squats (playing against
my own rules again; I hardly ever get to play my squat rules, but seem
to constantly play against them.)

Thane