Re: [Epic] My Database, AGAIN

From: <anvil_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:17:39 -0500

Thane Morgan wrote:

> anvil_at_... wrote:
> >
> Yeah, they really seem to have gutted the biotitan. I'm going to try to
> take my absurdly well painted Hierophant against the squats on
> thursday,, and I'm debating on wheter to put together the other 3
> titans, just to see how they do in bulk. I suspect that they can be ok
> in lots of terrain, but I really can't see where the 480 points comes
> from. 3 deathrays and its done for, yet a reaver would hardly notice.
> I'm sure this is a lack of playtesting problem. I can field two really
> nasty CC units which can munch on anything for those points.

I have used the lil'un biotitan in the role of tactical swarm to some
success. It draws ahuge amount of FP and is reasonably survivable. When
followed closely by an assault swarm, it is not an ignorable threat

> Do your opponents try meeting your detats with equally big ones. I think
> that would be a total feeding frenzy most of the time. I think if I were
> playing against I'd spread the detats out to where you couldn't get to
> more than one a turn, and getting to one would hopefully mean you didn't
> get to another the next turn. Easy to say though, huh.

We generally play small games on a 4x4 board. What he has learned is to
take small det's by the bucketload, with plenty of shooty boys. He
hasn't played his marines against this army since I ate his warlord.
Small det's are easier on the stomach but many remain unharrased to
shoot me.

> I've only used three trygons up to now, though I just painted six
> haruspex and I've got another six trygons to go. How have they worked
> for you? I'm having some trouble deciding how to use them.

I use 1 to carry my zoanthrope, and the rest up front with my termagants
or hormagaunts. My opponent seems to have an unreasonable fear of them
and they take quite a few AT shots. They seldom are a factor in an
assault. On a side note, for the longest time my only spawn were
Necromunda Millisaurs. They were in a 50% bargain bin and are about the
same size. Since the (re)release of 'nid stuff they have been joined by
one blister of each type.

> Also, I just painted my 6 dactylis, but again am not sure if they're
> anything more than a diversion. How have you used them?

I use the dactyl's with the exocrines and biovores. Get them in range
and put them on overwatch. One of the problems with playing orks in
small det's is they really crowd the battlefield. A cautionary note,
resist the temptation to split these det's up. they are a team and are
slaughtered wholesale by an intelligent foe when seperated. This is the
voice of experience speaking, DON'T SPLIT UP!

> Thane

anvil