RE: [Epic] what should i run as a 3000 point army against eldar?

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:47:15 -0600

> > I really must re-state my opposition to using thunderhawks for SM
> > deployment. Pods are only slightly less effective at precision, are
> > lot less vulnerable to interceptors and flak, and a HELL of a lot
> > cheaper. Why spend 240 points to deploy a detat that can be more
> safely
> > deployed for free. Especially if you have to wait two turns to use
> the
> > awesome 24 fp afterwards. They're almost as powerful individually as
> 2
> > heavy artillery units which can stuff 6 units in their template.
>
> I have to agree. My drop pods always appear in one big clump. I can't
> see how much better THawks would be. Unless the map was totally
> covered
> with terrain.

--------> Drop Pods are fine, but they aren't always a substitute for
t-hawks. With a Hawk, I can definitely land troops _here_ whereas with
pods they land _around here_ but maybe not exactly where I want them,
and sometimes that's important. Terrain, placement of other troops, etc
can all be a factor here.
    As for losing the firepower for a period of time, sure, but if you
have decided that accomplishing this particular objective is important,
then that's what you do. If the hawks can just sail in and blast 'em and
accomplish the same objective, then let them do that and use the troops
somewhere else, but I would not assume that that will always be the
case.
   Flexibility is also a big deal: If I want to plant assault marines in
a certain spot then t-hawks are my only tool to do that, and the fact
they have firepower is just gravy which I can use later if they survive.
If the landing of troops turns out to be unneccessary, then I still have
a useful unit which can blow things up real good.
   And finally" as powerful as 2 heavy artillery units which can stuff 6
units in their templeate"? How often does that happen? I could also say
"2 of them have the same offensive capability as a Warlord titan with
all HWB's _and_ they're more mobile" - so what? : )

I'd say either approach works - in one battle I might take 'em for FP,
while in another (or even the same) I might need the transport ability.
I don't think they're overpriced for either one, and you may end up
needing both, especially against a mobile opponent like Eldar.

Chris Miller