Re: [Epic] Space Fleet (off topic, well sort of)

From: Jason Stephensen <J.Stephensen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:33:20 +0000

At 23:47 10/03/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Maybe I'm just tired here, but... GSC?

Ummm...what's GSC?

>Orks: ye generic Hulk, decked out with force fields up the wazoo to hold
>the air in. The intro to Final Liberation also suggets that Orks
>capture Imperial ships, which is possible I suppose (though how they got
>to the Impy ship in the first place is a good question...).

Easy. You see orks can travel the warp with no problems at all. Most humans
can't handle the warp conscious. The pilots are the only ones psychically
strong enough to be able to handle the pressureon the spirit. Orks being
well orks don't have this problme and often raid ships in the warp that are
unlikely to defend themsleves. Orks travelling the warp are quite scarey.
Daemons infest most of the warp and the shielding of Imperial ships keep
them out. Orks are just plain resistant to possesion. And orks don't travel
the warp like most races. Most know where they are going, orks just climb
in the hulk go into the warp and then turn up "somewhere" else. Weird
creatures.

>Eldar: apart from the Wraithship and Shadowhunter, also have the
>Ghostdragon, basically equivalent to the Emperor. It even fires
>broadsides! Whether or not it's still super-maneuverable is a Darn Good
>Question, but I doubt it. Oh, and Nightwing fighters.
>
>Squats: Darn Good Question. My personal preference is for huge, fast,
>well armed & protected but *expensive* ships; they have the tech (better
>than the Imperium!).
>
>Bugs & Imperium are pretty well covered; Imperials would also have the
>Thunderbolt fighter (*not* the Thunderhawk!).
>
>?_? Too large a scale? It's basically the same scale as any other
>starship combat game... what do you want?

I agree. The ships are meant to be HUGE!

>Comment: the majority of the small ships *cannot* travel through the
>Warp; no drive. The Cobra is the smallest ship with a warp drive; the
>Stalwart Escort does *not* have a warp drive on board. While you can do
>planetary defense scenarios, it is kinda a good question as to where the
>smaller ships come from, in a campaign sense.
>
>For the record, the Stalwart Escort is a "hardy" substellar warship,
>i.e. one of them should be able to handle just about any other
>substellar ship there is. The difference between the substellar ships
>and interstellar ships is *very* large in Space Fleet; basically, if you
>were building a really large ship, there's no reason not to put a warp
>drive on the sucker, while you couldn't put a warp drive on a very small
>ship. Also, the interstellar ships need to be self-sufficient; there's
>no telling when a warp storm might throw them away from known space
>entirely, and there are several stories about lost ships travelling
>thousands of years to get to a port....
>
>>I've
>> translated the eldar and thunderhawk so far.
>
>T-hawk, or T-bolt? The Thunderbolt is the Imperial interface fighter,
>just as the Nightwing is the Eldar interface fighter; the Thunderhawk is
>just a space-to-ground transport. For space-to-space boarding, the
>Imperial ships have docking/breaching pods; see the little sequences in
>the original Space Hulk game....
>
>>I'm probably going to have
>> to put out a few main rules special systems and change torpedo rules
>> slightly for this purpose.
>
>I am curious, though, as to what you'd change....
>
> Aaron Teske
> Mithramuse+_at_...
> Space Fleet wweb page:
> http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~at2u/sfleet.html