Re: [Epic] Space Fleet (off topic, well sort of)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:47:49 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from Epic: 10-Mar-98 Re: [Epic] Space Fleet (off.. by Thane
Morgan_at_...
> > Space Fleet is probably not a good match because the ships are freakin'
> > HUGE.
>
> I've started making GSC-Epic conversions,

Maybe I'm just tired here, but... GSC?

>but need some info on other
> races space vehicles.

Chaos: use Imperial ships (suitably modified and painted for their
patron) and ye generic Hulk.

Orks: ye generic Hulk, decked out with force fields up the wazoo to hold
the air in. The intro to Final Liberation also suggets that Orks
capture Imperial ships, which is possible I suppose (though how they got
to the Impy ship in the first place is a good question...).

Eldar: apart from the Wraithship and Shadowhunter, also have the
Ghostdragon, basically equivalent to the Emperor. It even fires
broadsides! Whether or not it's still super-maneuverable is a Darn Good
Question, but I doubt it. Oh, and Nightwing fighters.

Squats: Darn Good Question. My personal preference is for huge, fast,
well armed & protected but *expensive* ships; they have the tech (better
than the Imperium!).

Bugs & Imperium are pretty well covered; Imperials would also have the
Thunderbolt fighter (*not* the Thunderhawk!).

>Space fleet seemed to have too large a scale,

?_? Too large a scale? It's basically the same scale as any other
starship combat game... what do you want?

>but
> if anyone knows of destroyer and smaller sized ships for the various
> races, or ideas on what they should look like, send them here.

Comment: the majority of the small ships *cannot* travel through the
Warp; no drive. The Cobra is the smallest ship with a warp drive; the
Stalwart Escort does *not* have a warp drive on board. While you can do
planetary defense scenarios, it is kinda a good question as to where the
smaller ships come from, in a campaign sense.

For the record, the Stalwart Escort is a "hardy" substellar warship,
i.e. one of them should be able to handle just about any other
substellar ship there is. The difference between the substellar ships
and interstellar ships is *very* large in Space Fleet; basically, if you
were building a really large ship, there's no reason not to put a warp
drive on the sucker, while you couldn't put a warp drive on a very small
ship. Also, the interstellar ships need to be self-sufficient; there's
no telling when a warp storm might throw them away from known space
entirely, and there are several stories about lost ships travelling
thousands of years to get to a port....

>I've
> translated the eldar and thunderhawk so far.

T-hawk, or T-bolt? The Thunderbolt is the Imperial interface fighter,
just as the Nightwing is the Eldar interface fighter; the Thunderhawk is
just a space-to-ground transport. For space-to-space boarding, the
Imperial ships have docking/breaching pods; see the little sequences in
the original Space Hulk game....

>I'm probably going to have
> to put out a few main rules special systems and change torpedo rules
> slightly for this purpose.

I am curious, though, as to what you'd change....

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...
                    Space Fleet wweb page:
                    http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~at2u/sfleet.html