Re: [Epic] That thing again; Chaos forces

From: Michael Reed <Reed_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:45:43 -0000

----------
> From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
> To: e40k <space-marine_at_...>
> Subject: [Epic] That thing again.
> Date: Wednesday, March 11, 1998 7:28 PM
>
> 2: Noone has sent any chaos forces. Noone playing out there.

Seriously??!!?! Well, I've been playing a Chaos army for the last
couple of months, using old stuff and converted marines, so that's
probably a cue.
Chaos, IMHO, are the "Batman" of the Epic armies. They aren't
the best army at anything, but they can do anything well. Their
artillery is second only to the Imperial Guard's. Daemons, as
assault troops, are only bettered by the sheer mass of the Tyranid
broods. Mechanised marines and daemon cavalry give a formidable
mobile element; it's wonderful to see the suprise of an opponent when
a Bloodthirster/Flesh hound detatchment charges 75cm in one turn
to rip into his lines. As for air power, the firelord is a reasonable
bomber whilst the doomwing is a uniquely specialized interceptor,
and the only thing capable of threatening Eldar air superiority.
Finally, huge mobs of cultists and beastmen can be used to fill out
the lines should you feel the need.

Here go a few regular favourites:

"The Wild Hunt"
3 x Bloodthirsters
15 x Flesh Hounds
: 352 points

- 75cm movement when they charge. A _horrible_ assault factor, and
enormously durable. The size helps them avoid being pinned by fire
early on, and as long as you can avoid being jumped by bikers they'll
do horrible things to the enemy's main line. Even when they don't get
into HtH, they attract a disproportionate ammount of firepower - and survive.

"The Fists of Khorne"
4 x Chaos Space Marines (inc. HQ)
4 x Chaos Artillery
:285 points.

Artillery - 'nuff said. The inclusion of the marines means that they're
bought as a marine detatchment rather than eating a precious chaos
engine slot, and disciplines me into keeping them guarded! On their
reload turns, they can effectively reposition by going onto march or
assault. Finally, the greater concentration of fire means they're more
likely to leave an opponent with blast markers.

"Khorne Armour"
4 x Land Raiders
4 x Khorne engines
: 241 points

More of a flavour detatchment than anything. However, the engines
do a good job of deterring assaulters/firefighters and soaking hits,
whilst the land raiders are their usual selves.

The other detatchments I use tend to be standard marine affairs. A
good starter for a would-be chaos player is to look at standard marine
options; chaos marines can pretty well match them all.
                                        Mike Reed