Re: [Epic] Pods and Hawks

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:59:13 -0600

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> Generally, I agree with you. However, THawks do have certain advantages
> and I often use them.
>
> 1) Precision. As you say, this is marginal.

Yeah, and the need to avoid overflying a herd of small things with guns
to get to tasty bits in side.

> 2) Firepower. This is the big one for me. Three THawks will lay down
> three blast markers on the detachment that their cargo will be
> targetting/engaging as the THawks drop off their cargo. If I'm going
> to be assaulting something in the enemy rear, these extra three Blast
> Markers are quite handy. Note that these markers are in addition to
> any your troops themsleves will lay down when they fire if the shooting
> phase.

Ah, that dosen't add up. 3 x 8 = 24 div by 2 for transport = 12 = 1
(one) blast marker. If I recall the table correctly. If not, it's 2
(two). I KNOW it is not 3 (three)

Do you make each and every thawk it's own detachment? If so you can get
3 bm, if and only if you score a hits with each one.

> 3) Delayed arrival. When your reserves in Drop Pods show up, they land.
> Right now. Nothing you can do about it. While I've never tried this
> myself, I believe the rules state that any flyers on intercept orders
> can loiter if there are no targets you wish to engage with them. You
> might want to give you THawks intercept orders on turn 2 so that you could
> delay landing your troops until turn 3 or later.

You can't land on intercept orders. While the rules do not state that
you can't change orders from turn to turn for flyers, I would pitch a
bitch if some one put t-hawks on intercept on turn 2, loitered (yes your
right you can do that), then changed to transport on turn 3, with a a
RTB inbetween. Cheese is not the least thing I would say.

In fact, Q&A person, why don't you ask the dudes that?

They have allowed weirder things (scouts from pods coming to mind)

> 4) Evac, if you are using those rules, is the exclusive territory of THawks for
> the Imperials.

Dis is the truth.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com