Re: [Epic] 2000pt 'ideal' IG Army

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:26:59 +1300 (BST)

On Fri 13 Mar, Aaron wrote:
> Sean Smith wrote:
> >
> > > As I normally fight Orks, I'm more concerned with BEING assaulted than
> > > assaulting. 5 Battlewagons could assault this detachment and you would
> > > be hit 2 to 1. That why I add a couple of cheap units with it to spread
> > > out the attacker.
> > >

> > Maybe I didn't make myself clear, the hellhound detachment is suppost to
> > support of detachments, as the diagram below demonstrates.
> >
> > O O O O
> >
> > C C H C
> > IG IG H IG
> > SW SW H SW
> > SW SW H SW
> > SW SW H SW
> > H H H
> >
> > O = ork
> > IG = normal IG
> > C = Commssar
> > SW = Support Weapon
> > H = Hellhound
> >

> I got burned once, because you can't support unless some of your units
> are touched, I had a bunch of HH just sitting there, watching their
> buddies die. A clever (or cheesy) opponent can screw you by charging
> your flanks. Besides, I saved 25 points buy joining them anyway.
>
> Maybe its just me, my "formations" always turn into big blobs by turn 3
> or so.

In this case the hellhounds can't be joined with the infantry
detachment, because the infantry detachment already has its
maximum number of supports. In my club we have a house rule that
the nearest units to the charging detachment have be charged
first and no unit can attacked by two units until all units
within charge range have been attacked at least once.
Also, in the rules, assaulting detachments must move towards
the enemy, so as long as you have postioned your detachments
well enemy detachments won't be able attack your detachments
in the flank, because to be able do so they would have move
away from your detachment. If I thought there was
a risk of the enemy attacking my support weapons and hell
hounds I would have the fore sight to redeploy my detachment
in the movement phase to prevent this possibility, see
diagram below. Finally the whole purpose of this detachment
is use its firepower and anti-tank weapons to reduce
the number of enemy units attacking it.

 C IG C IG H IG C IG
 SW SW SW SW SW SW SW
 H H H SW SW H H H