Re: [Epic] Re: (OT) Heinlein's Style (was Modelling an Entire Chapter)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:11:29 -0600

Elaine P wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> >IT's funny, the population seems to be stuck into two groups, those who
> >took the film seriously, and those who didn't. I am in the second group
> >and I thought it was an excellent film, it parodies hollwywood, WWII,
> US
> >infantry, and every military stereotype ever made. It was all packaged
> in
> >an over glossed cheesy parcel, and the delivery was perfect. No it
> wasn't
> >intelligent, but seriously, if you thought they were for real writing a
> >line like "You kill bugs good", then you have missed the point of the
> >movie, you are now in group one, and the movie would seem horrible.
>
> The movie did succeed in capturing Robert Heinlein's irreverent style.
> A lot of his characters adhered to the "don't take life too seriously"
> philosophy. The book was originally a Juvenile, a book aimed at 12 to
> 16 year olds, when it was published in 1959.
>
> TANSTAAFL !!

While the movie may have captured that aspect of the novel, it missed on
damn near all other accounts.

To bring this back on topic, pages 162 to 165 (Ace hardback, SF book
club version) has all the info needed to make army list for "Starship
Marines", which is on my list of things to do for E41K

Of course the whole silly 1000 men per chapter thing goes out the window
if you DID do that, in that there are 10,800 men in a MI divsion, and he
accounts for at least 5 divisions.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus