Re: [Epic] Re: (OT) Heinlein's Style (was Modelling an Entire Chapter)

From: <pentacle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 20:23:49 -0500

>While the movie may have captured that aspect of the novel, it missed on
>damn near all other accounts.
>
>To bring this back on topic, pages 162 to 165 (Ace hardback, SF book
>club version) has all the info needed to make army list for "Starship
>Marines", which is on my list of things to do for E41K
>
>Of course the whole silly 1000 men per chapter thing goes out the window
>if you DID do that, in that there are 10,800 men in a MI divsion, and he
>accounts for at least 5 divisions.
>

>--
>Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed. P. Opus
>--
>Geek code: GAT d-- s:-- a C+++ UL++ P+ L++ !E- W+++ N++ o K++ w+++ !o
>!M-- !V-- PS+ PE++ Y+ PGP t++ 5+ X R+++ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D G++ e+
>h---(*)
>r+++ y+++(**)
>http://www.spellbooksoftware.com

Now that the Starsip troopers thing is winding down, I can put in my 2
cents. I liked the movie, not for any love of sticking to the book, or for
dialog, it was just fun to watch.

And as far as making a Starship army, I am not painting 10,800 men worth of
figures. Even I am not that dedicated to purist completism. While I have
spent 2 weeks figuring out exact volumes of components and spaces of self
designed space craft, according to some obscure game called BlackWatch, I
could not dedicate myself to painting all those models. (Ranting a little,
but out of fear that now tat the idea has been planted I may not be able to
stop myself.)

                Aerich Frodoson
        "It has come to the attension of management that people in general
         actually care. In view of this shift of opinion, we are going
         to do a better job of concealing what we are actually doing"