Re: [Epic] Re: (OT) Heinlein's Style (was Modelling an Entire Chapter)

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:08:52 -0700

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> > The movie did succeed in capturing Robert Heinlein's irreverent style.
> > A lot of his characters adhered to the "don't take life too seriously"
> > philosophy. The book was originally a Juvenile, a book aimed at 12 to
> > 16 year olds, when it was published in 1959.
> >
> > TANSTAAFL !!
> >
> > -- Elaine
>
> Really? I thought the movie missed Heinlein altogether. The novel
> read like Heinlein's personal philosophical treatise. There were
> discussions of who should make political decisions, why capital
> punishment should be accepted, taking responsibility for ones own
> actions, and why strivng for excellence should be rewarded rather
> than punished. The war, while always in the background, always
> seemed a secondary concern to the author's main points.
>
> The movie, however, went straight for the 90210 love-triangle in space
> (with lots of blood and gunfire.) The politics were either
> completely overlooked or made fun of (probably because Heinlein
> politics and Hollywood politics don't coincide) and the classroom
> scenes were made even less believable than they were in the book.
>
> But hey, if people enjoyed the movie then the producers did their job.
>
> -Allen McCarley

I loved the movie, and hated the politics espoused, even in their
reduced form. Don't go to the movies to look for a revelation or
spiritual fulfillment; go to see thing blow up that your not allowed/
can't find to blow up in real life. The plot was at least coherent,
which is a lot more than you can say about a lot of Sci-Fi- Movies these
days.

Thane