Re: [Epic] Re: (OT) Heinlein's Style (was Modelling an Entire Chapter)

From: <pentacle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 20:52:12 -0500

>I loved the movie, and hated the politics espoused, even in their
>reduced form. Don't go to the movies to look for a revelation or
>spiritual fulfillment; go to see thing blow up that your not allowed/
>can't find to blow up in real life. The plot was at least coherent,
>which is a lot more than you can say about a lot of Sci-Fi- Movies these
>days.
>
>Thane

This is probably a very unpopular thing to say but I like the politics of
the book. Democracy (or republic, depending on your definition and opinion
of the current us governement) has definate advantages. But I have often
thought on Empire, and seen things I like very much. I believe that all
governments terminate in on of two ways, Utopianism, a peaceful grouping
lending itself to study, and the arts. A true Democracy where the will of
the people is all. And Empire, a more militant Democracy where what we take
as rights in a republic, become privilages earned in service. I like that
idea a lot. It is a little lopsided, and easily given to corruption, but
like all things in a pure light looks really good.

This has been an OT poltical Rant

                Aerich Frodoson
        "It has come to the attension of management that people in general
         actually care. In view of this shift of opinion, we are going
         to do a better job of concealing what we are actually doing"