[Epic] Tips on packaging and mailing minis

From: Carl Billen <billenc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:24:05 +0100

Hi everyone,

Recently I starting trading minis with Dirk Vormann (same continent) and
Aaron P Teske (different continent), and I'd like some tips on how to
package and mail minis to people all over the world.

I had put the minis in an old blister, taped thouroughly together, and put
this blister in a sturdy envelope with 'bubbly' plastic, to ensure that the
minis won't get damaged. On the envelope I put a sticker with an airplane
on it and with the words 'A prior' on it, which (according to the secretary
I got the sticker from), means that it will be treated as letter mail, but
not as 'printed matter mail', which would be slower. It is, however, not
air mail and while it is quick enough to be sent over the same continent (in
my case from Belgium to Germany).

The trades I did with Dirk (Germany - Belgium) went very quickly, as they
were put in the mail on a Friday and we both received it on a Monday (say it
took about 3 days). The trade with Aaron (USA - Belgium) took considerable
more time. I received my minis within a week, but Aaron hasn't received
them yet... and I put them in the mail on February 2nd 1998.

I do believe Aaron sent his packet by airmail, which result in a speedy
delivery, but I have absolute no idea how long it takes to get a packet to
the US by 'land mail'. I do understand now why they call it 'snail mail'.

I would really appreciate any tips on how to package and send minis so that
I won't make the same mistakes again and that the minis arrive quickly to
their destination. Something like 'always-use-airmail' or
'land-mail=lost-forever' would be useful, 'cause these are only my first
steps in the trading world (The only mail I ever sent to the US was a
subscription form for a computer CD magazine which appears 4 times a year,
so that doesn't give a clue about the time involved). I think these tips
would be very useful to the people of the list as we have people from at
least thee different continents (North-America, Australia/New Zealand &
Europe), and we trading rookies could use every advice from the veterans.

Thanks in advance,

Carl Billen
billenc_at_...