Re: [Epic] (Off Topic) Quake 2

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:12:39 -0600

> I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it's clear that some companies
> are a little bit more anal on this matter than others, and noone is more
> anal than Games Workshop.

In two words Horse Hockey. LOTS of companies are more anal about this
than GW. Lets start with TSR, before WotC got them at the fire sale.
NO USE OF TSR COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL ON ANY INTERNET SITE EXPECT THEIRS.

Lets talk Fox and what they are doing to "Fan" pages of their shows.

Lets talk Paramount and what they are doing with "Star Trek" fan pages.

While I don't know if GW is planning on doing a WH40K shoot-em-up 1st
person game, I have heard that they are or were working on it. This
means that a Quake TC is not a "fan" thing, but a direct competitor.
"Lets see, you want to use our copyrighted material and images, release
a something that will be competing with our product and you don't want
to pay license fee. Ah, no thank you so much for asking".

Maybe I am a bit anal about this as I make my living off of intellectual
properties also.

As I understand GW's policy on fan work is that you can use terms that
are copyrighted by them (like, say, Warhammer 40,000 or Eldar), and can
use limited amounts of there rules/written stuff (like say, stats
tables) but you can NOT use their images or large amounts of their
fiction (i.e. you can post a couple of pages of THEIR fluff). The no
image rule tends to rule out the Quake stuff with out a license
agreement.