Re: [Epic] FAQ Orks Hitching and Orders Removal

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:19:15 +1000

What's the status on the FAQ?

And some more points, which may already have been answered, or may need
an FAQ.

1) What happens when an Ork Battlewagon/Battlefortress with Orks
"hitching a lift" gets fired upon?
2) Can Orks "Hitching a lift" fire?

Background:
Orks "Hitching" can be picked up by the transporter, and dropped off by
the transporter, at no penalty. Thus, a transporter will usually pick up
at the beginning of the move, and drop off at the current position at
the end of the move. Hence the only time there would be an opportunity
for firing at Hitching Orks would be via Artillery or Snap Fire ( ie
firing occurring in the movement phase). At other times, it can be
considered that the Orks are temporarily dropped off, only to be picked
up again in the next movement phase. Remember: there's no movement
penalty on the tranporter.
My argument is that, purely as a matter of convenience, it is not
neccessary to actually place the models next to/in front of/behind the
transporter at the end of each movement phase. Just say "They're
hitching" and they count as being next to/on top of but not actually in
the transporter.
What does this mean? Well, if the transporter gets hit by normal FP, or
for that matter, AT, then it has no effect on the hitchers. They go
flying off in the traditional Orky way, dust themselves off, and
continue. OTOH if they get hit by a Barrage, then the two detachments
(if seperate) both get attacked, as they are "intermingled". And if not
seperate detachments, that's two units under the template, not one, so
double effect. Basically, better than normal transport vs direct fire,
worse vs artillery.

having to mount/dismount at no cost every movement phase, allow them
fire, and count them as NOT being transported for the purposes of taking
casualties.
Either that, or I for one will be spending twice as much time moving,
dropping off all riders at the end of each movement phase, and picking
them up again from the same spot at the beginning of the next one. Which
has exactly the same effect as the rules above, just takes longer.

One bananaskin: If on SPECIAL orders, the detachment's artillery and
flak can't move. I take this to mean "can't hitch" too. In this case,
hitchers going on special, immediately place them coincident with the
(former) transporter. So hitchers can't be on SPECIAL orders.

When do Orders expire?
Consider: a detachment marches on turn 1. It desires to continue
marching on turn 2. But on turn 2, some airpower turns up, and fires at
it. Is it still marching? When do you remove orders dice?

Broken orders are removed in the rally phase. But what about the rest?
It's clear that orders are placed at the latest possible moment: when
it's the air phase, place SPECIAL. When it's your movement phase, place
everything else apart from BROKEN. When losing a CC or FF, place BROKEN.
Argument 1: If a detachment is marching on Turn 1, then in the air
segment of Turn 2 it should count as marching. Otherwise marching would
never be a penalty vs an opponent relying on airpower.
BUT... if the unit has Flak, it can change to SPECIAL. This may be quite
OK, the Flak units give enough warning to take cover.
BUT... if the unit has Artillery it can also change to Special. So
marching artillery is safe. Blerk.

So: are orders dice (apart from unrallied BROKEN) removed:
a) In the rally phase?
b) When the next set of orders are given (including removal), ie in the
Air Phase for SPECIAL, in that side's Movement phase for all others?
c) Other?

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo