Re: [Epic] SV: satans work

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:50:48 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> > Yep. MIT has put a ban on alcohol because of a kid who died this past
> > September.

> > I'm not saying that
> > alcohol is
> > necessary for people to have a good time, but alcohol-free parties die
> > _very_ quickly.
>
> ---------> And the reason for that would be...? Maybe alcohol companies
> have made a good run at making people believe you have to have alcohol
> to have a good party? I've had a problem for a long time with people who
> , if you take their alcohol away, scream that they can't have fun
> anymore.

        Drinking games sure aren't much fun without it. =)

> Besides, most states (U.S.) have pushed the drinking age up to 21,
> which means most of the people in a frat can't legally drink anyway, so
> the ban shouldn't affect most of them, right?

        ...uh, yeah... right... Or do you mean that since they
were drinking illegally to begin with, further bans shouldn't
affect them? That doesn't really follow; wide-spread underage
drinking on campuses is possible because it's generally
tolerated/ignored as long as it's not openly flaunted. So an
actual crack-down is definitely going to change things (at
least until the folks in charge forget about it and the status
quo returns).

        Semi-ontopic: Slaanesh says alcohol is for weenies!
I'm not sure what the drug of choice is for Slaanesh cultists,
but it's probably pretty damn strong...

> The main game under fire in the U.S. right now is Vampire and its
> ilk,

        Really? I haven't heard much in the way of RPG-bashing
for years now... Although Vampire certainly seems like a ripe
target.

> I never liked Vampire anyway, and honestly it seems to
> attract a different crowd than most other RPG's.

        From what I've seen, the Vampire players are generally
more role-playing-oriented than, say, DnD players. That and
the goths seems to like it...

> There's a lot more
> people taking it a lot more seriously than they really should, which is
> fine until it gets out of control and into the news and any of us who
> play any kind of game are painted as "nuts" - I don't appreciate it
> when someone else's lack of maturity/control/brainpower/whatever screws
> up things for me, whether it's driving drunk or getting my hobby smeared
> as "evil."

        I wouldn't say that Vampire players are more nuts than
other RPG players... Certainly they're not any more nuts than
people heavily involved in the SCA. I kinda wonder if old-time
RPGers regard Vamp players as odd or different because of the
heavy emphasis on role-playing over dice-rolling...

> Chris Miller
> Tool of Evil

Scott Shupe
Spawn of Satan

shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"The day will not save them. And we own the the night." - Warmaster
Horus