RE: [Epic] SV: satans work

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:19:14 -0600

> Yep. MIT has put a ban on alcohol because of a kid who died this past
> September. Thing is, alcohol consumption has just gone farther
> underground,
> and now people are so afraid of retribution if they get caught in an
> inibriated
> state that they don't get help if they need it. Talk about stupid.
>
> Of course, the kid who died was a pledge at a frat (one with a bad rep
> campus
> wide), and that made it all the worse for frats in general, who were
> painted
> as evil misleaders of angelic youths. The media had a field day, and
> now
> most of the social life that existed is gone. I'm not saying that
> alcohol is
> necessary for people to have a good time, but alcohol-free parties die
> _very_ quickly.

---------> And the reason for that would be...? Maybe alcohol companies
have made a good run at making people believe you have to have alcohol
to have a good party? I've had a problem for a long time with people who
, if you take their alcohol away, scream that they can't have fun
anymore.

   Besides, most states (U.S.) have pushed the drinking age up to 21,
which means most of the people in a frat can't legally drink anyway, so
the ban shouldn't affect most of them, right?

   The main game under fire in the U.S. right now is Vampire and its
ilk, as we've had a few individuals and "cults" (small groups of
friends) go nuts and kill people because they felt like it. Kid in
Florida was on trial as the "vampire cult leader", case in Springfield
Missouri where a guy's wife was killed and people think he did it but
evidence is kinda sketchy, but some scribblings tie it in to his vampire
rpg campaign, etc. I don't think there's been a general outcry yet
(churches are still busy knocking AD&D) but given a few more news
stories... I never liked Vampire anyway, and honestly it seems to
attract a different crowd than most other RPG's. There's a lot more
people taking it a lot more seriously than they really should, which is
fine until it gets out of control and into the news and any of us who
play any kind of game are painted as "nuts" - I don't appreciate it
when someone else's lack of maturity/control/brainpower/whatever screws
up things for me, whether it's driving drunk or getting my hobby smeared
as "evil."

The big surprise to me has been that I haven't heard one thing that's
anti "Magic" - I mean, the cards are everywhere, it says"Magic" in
spooky letters right on the cover, some of the cards have some pretty
wild artwork, and yet nothing is said. My in-laws are very conservative
Catholics who know all about how evil D&D is (we get along real well,
let me tell you. "They're coming over? Better put the chaos army out on
display!") yet they dont even have a single pamphlet on Magic. I was
shocked. I may have to actually send them some cards. I mean, now the
company that makes them owns D&D too! They couldn't be a better
target...

: )

Chris Miller
Tool of Evil