Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:23:30 -0500

> NEXT SUBJECT:TITANS (WELL YOU ASKED FOR IT!!)
>
> Several issues that have been mentioned in the past seem to be the big
> contentions:
> 1-weapons should be paid for, therefore more powerful weapons combos
> should be worth more and thus worth more Vp's.

I would say that I am tentatively in favor of this.

> 2-titans are the powerful death machines of the games, bring back AT
> rules make it difficult for anything but a titan to destroy a titan in
> close combat

Hooray! This should not be a problem since every race (with the
exception of Squats) have their own type of Titan that can do close
combat (and the Squats can just pound the crap out of the poor thing)

> 3-What other ways to make titans truely stronger

I would like to see Titans pick up a point defense system in addition
to their main weapons. Most of the larger vehicles (especially
superheavies) have something to this effect. Especially consider the
Knights, which are described as one-man Titans. They have a small
point defense system (1 6+ bolter attack). Even Leman Russes and Land
Raiders have something to this effect. Why can't Titans, our
"land-going battleships" (to quote Agro), have something similar? It
stands to reason that a unit of that size would have various small arms
to keep the annoying small troops away. To continue to draw on this
battleship analogy, consider the Death Star from Star Wars. It had one
primary weapon of immense power and probably several smaller anti-ship
weapons, but it also had many small batteries of anti-fighter guns to
handle small fighters. Titans should be the same. They should have
their primary weapons plus a certain number of 6+ bolter attacks (with
15 cm range). The Imperator is a good example of this. It has its
four primary weapons (the Hellstorm, the Plasma Annihilator, the
defense laser, and the Main Battery) plus several minor weapons and a
heavy point defense system (24 6+ bolter attacks). Therefore, I
propose that the Titans lacking such a point defense system be given
one. These guns always fire on first fire, regardless of orders, and
have a 360 degree arc of fire. Some proposed quantities of attacks:
Warhound--3 Reaver--6 Warlord--9 Phantom--6 Warlock--7
(I realize that this is not a complete list, but these are the Titans
with which I am somewhat familiar)

Since I am a Princeps of the Adeptus Titanicus, I cannot finish this
message without calling for a reinstatement of 8 void shields to the
Warlord. (Of course I'm biased :] )

Finally, it concerns me that, once a Titan's void shields are stripped,
anything has the potential to nail it. The Warlord's plasma reactor
has a 4+ save, for crying out loud. What happened to the "meters-thick
armor" that we read about in the fluff? (Yeah, yeah, I know, it's GW,
etc. etc., but still!) There should be no way that small arms fire
could do anything more than minor damage to a Titan. Therefore, I
propose that any attack with no save modifier or a positive save
modifier (one does exist!) have a -3 modifier to any damage roll. If
the roll is modified below 1, no damage is dealt. That way, infantry
and light vehicles can't peg a Titan seriously, but they can always get
lucky.

I should note that one of the biggest (pardon the pun) reasons for my
getting into Epic were the Titans (especially the Imperator). True,
since I've started I have moved away from my first love somewhat, but
the image of an Imperator striding onto the battlefield guns ablaze
still sends chills up and down my spine. (Well, that could be a bit
exaggerated) It's not that I'm a cheeseball who wants the ultimate
unit. Titans should not be invulnerable, nor should they be the be-all
and end-all of troops. On the other hand, they should kick some
serious butt and inspire a great deal of dread, which they fail to do
under the current rules. Adding a bit of juice to these beasts would
do the game good.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf (and Princeps)