Re: [Epic] SV: satans work

From: Carl Billen <billenc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:39:29 +0100

>> The big surprise to me has been that I haven't heard one thing that's
>> anti "Magic" - I mean, the cards are everywhere, it says"Magic" in
>> spooky letters right on the cover, some of the cards have some pretty
>> wild artwork, and yet nothing is said. My in-laws are very conservative
>> Catholics who know all about how evil D&D is (we get along real well,
>> let me tell you. "They're coming over? Better put the chaos army out on
>> display!") yet they dont even have a single pamphlet on Magic. I was
>> shocked. I may have to actually send them some cards. I mean, now the
>> company that makes them owns D&D too! They couldn't be a better
>> target...

Actually, Magic got attacked in a way which resulted in (when going from the
Revised to Fourth edition) all cards with 'Demon' in it (Demonic Hordes,
Demonic Attorney) and cards with 'disturbing art' (Living Wall) being
removed and replaced with other cards.

One of the best letters I ever read in Inquest went something like this :
' Dear Inquest, I have noticed that the Magic cards my son plays with have 5
coloured dots on the back, which, connected with lines, form a pentagram
which is the sign of witches and the Devil. If this is the case, I will
have to prohibit my son playing this game'.
The magazine's answer :
' Dear concerned mother, The 5 coloured dots represent the 5 different
kinds of magic and when these are connected with curves, you'll see that
they lie on a circle, which is the symbol of peace, harmony and
equilibrium.'
I don't know if her son was still allowed to play the game...

Carl Billen
billenc_at_...