Re: [Epic] Re: [Epic} Aircraft Interceptions

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:57:54 -0600

>>> For example, if I have a squadron of three Maruaders on
>>> a ground attack mission, and my Eldar opponent intercepts
>>> them with a squadron of three Nightwings, and I in
>>> turn intercept his Nightwings with a squadron of three
>>> Thunderbolts, which of the following is the correct
>>> way to conduct the interception:
>>>
>>> (a) The Nightwings get to fire first (because they have the
>>> higher intercept value) at either the Thunderbolts
>>> or the Maruaders, the remaining Thunderbolts and Maruaders,
>>> which were not damaged or shoot down, can then all shoot
>>> back at the Nightwings. [This how my gaming group conducts
>>> interceptions]
>>> (b) The Nightwings get to fire first (because they have the
>>> higher intercept value) at the Thunderbolts, then any
>>> remaining Thunderbolts fire at the Nightwings. The
>>> remaining Nightwings can then fire at the Maruaders,
>>> then any remaining Maruaders get to fire back at the
>>> Nightwings.
>>>
>>Correct way is a). I see no need to include this in the next Q&A.
>
>Well, since opinion seems to be divided on the issue I'd say that there IS
>reason to include this in the next Q&A. We play using version B, which is a
>logical interpretation of the rules as our group has read them. An
>"official" answer would be appreciated.

Well, play as you like. However, the rules do seem to indicate a). The
detailed example in the back of the Battles Book definately indicates
that a) is correct. The example given is a group of Fighta-Bomberz
being intercepted by Thunderbolts, who are in turn intercepted by more
Fighta's. (I forget how long this daisy chains.) In any event, the A/C
with the highest intercept value fires first, regardless of who is intercepting
whom. Given ties here, A/C with intercept orders fire first. Any ties with
either of the above are resolved by alternating, with the player who has won
initiative going first. Be sure to remember that each fighter must allocate
all of its attack dice against a singel enemy.

Given the decisiveness of the example, I see little *need* to include this
in the next Q&A. However, if several people would like for me to anyway
just as a confirmation, I have no objections.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html

Mirrored (much more reliable, lately) by J. Michael Looney at:
     http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/allen-mirror/default.html