RE: [Epic] General Enquiry

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:12:48 +1300 (BST)

On Thu 26 Mar, Steve Wik wrote:
> OOh! Let me be the first "me too" on this! I'd like to see your house
> rules. While I'm at it, I'd love to see EVERYONE's house rules,
> campaign rules, favorite E40k detachments and armies (2000 or 3000 pt.
> or smaller especially). I'd say "post it all!", but if not, at least
> mail it to me privately, I'd like to see what more experienced gamers
> are using...

Since my alternative rules are much shorter than my campaign rules,
I have posted them to the list as whole.

---
Sean Smith
Seans_at_...
---
_Alternative Epic 40k Movement Rules_
I am unhappy with the lack movement penalties in Epic 40k, so
I have designed my own.
_All Units_
- All units half their movement if crossing a marsh and or swamp
  during the movement or assault phase (except for skimmers &
  troops with jump packs).
- All units increase their speed by 50% if moving along a road for
  the whole of a movement or an assault phase,
_Charging Down Or Up Slopes_
- If more than 50% of the units involved in a close combat have
  charged down a slope during the assault phase a +1 is added to
  their close combat die roll. War engines (WEs) don't get the bonus
  for charging down slopes and units charging down slopes don't get
  a bonus if charging WE.
- If more than 50% of the units involved in a close combat have
  charged up a slope during the assault phase a -1 is added to
  their close combat die roll. War engines (WEs) don't get the bonus
  for charging up slopes.
_Infantry Movement_
- Infantry must use all of their movement during a movement or an
  assault phase to cross a river (except for troops with jump packs),
  except at fords and bridges.
- Infantry must immediately halt when they come to the edge of a river

- Infantry half their movement if crossing a stream or river ford
  during the movement or assault phase (except troops with jump packs).
_Vehicles Movement_
- Vehicles half their movement if moving through a wood during the
  movement or assault phase (except for the exceptions below).
- Vehicles half their movement if crossing a stream and river ford
  during the movement or assault phase (except for the exceptions
  below).
- Vehicles half their movement if crossing a marsh and or a swamp
  during the movement or assault phase (except for the exceptions
  below).
- Vehicles crossing a marsh or a swamp must immediately halt if they
  roll a 1 or 2 on their dangerous terrain roll (except for the
  exceptions below).
- Bikes, horses, jet bikes and other similar types of vehicles can
  move at full speed through woods.
- Gibletgrindas and similar types of vehicles can move at full speed
  through woods;
- Skimmers don't have their movement halfed if they fly over woods.
- Skimmers don't have to halt if they roll a 1 or 2 on the dangerous
  terrain roll if they don't end or begin their movement a swamp or
  marsh.
_Vehicles Hull Down Rule_
- Vehicles can use the crests of hills and other similar types of
  terrain to take up hull down positions. A vehicle which is hulldown
  is at -1 to hit from direct fire at its front. Vehicles do not get
  the  benefit of hull down if fired at by:
  *barrage weapons,
  *weapons mounted on titans which are higher up than the crest of
   the hill,
  *units that can pop up;
- Vehicles in fortifications get a -2 hull down bonus vs direct fire
  from their front and -1 bonus if fired at by:
  *barrage weapons,
  *weapons mounted on titans which are higher up than the crest of
   the hill,
  *units that can pop up;
- A vehicle are always hit if a 6 is rolled.

War Engines
- Only War Engines (WE) which have legs or which can skim can enter
  ruins or woods, however they move at half speed, they must
  immediately halt if they roll a 1 on their dangerous terrain roll;
- WEs which have legs or wheels that cross a marsh or a swamp must
  immediately halt if they roll a 1,2,3 or 4 on their dangerous
  terrain roll.
- WE's which have tracks that cross a marsh or a swamp must
  immediately halt if they roll a 1,2 or 3 on their dangerous
  terrain roll.
- WE which are skimmers don't need to make a dangerous terrain roll if
  skimming over a marsh or swamp. WE Skimmers which start their
  movement in a marsh or swamp must make a dangerous roll to see if
  they can move, they are treated as wheeled WE's for the dangerous
  terrain roll.
Alternative Epic 40k Random Terrain Generation System
I designed this random terrain system for local championship, to
avoid disputes over the placement of terrain.
1) Divided the battlefeild into three strips of the same length
  length wise, and 3 strips the same width width wise, you should
  end up with nine areas as shown below.

    ***********************
    *      *       *      *
    *   1  *  2    * 3    *
    ***********************
    *      *       *      *
    *   4  *  5    * 6    *
    ***********************
    *   7  *  8    * 9    *
    *      *       *      *
    ***********************

2) In this system each player alternately places a piece of
   terrain, randomly determine which player will place the
   first piece of terrain.
2) Either player rolls a d6, if the result is a 5 or 6 that player
   places river or a lake on the battlefield. All rivers must enter
   on a board edge and exit via a board edge (rivers can exit via
   the same broad edge they entered) or connect to other rivers,
   and they must be at least 60cm long. Lakes may not occupy a space
   greater than 50cm by 50cm. Keep on rolling d6s for rivers until a
   1,2, 3 or 4 is rolled or 4 water features have been placed on the
   battlefield.
3) Next either player rolls 4d6, this is the number terrain pieces
   which will placed on the broad.
5) Players then alternatley pick a piece of piece of terrain and
   roll a d10, if they roll a 10 the terrain is discarded, if they
   roll any other number they must place the majority of the piece of
   in area that corresponds to the number rolled. Players may only
   place marshes, hills, forests and buildings. If a player places
   a piece of terrain is bigger than 25cm by 25cm, then the other
   player may place two pieces terrain of less than 25cm by 25cm
   in size as compensation. If a player places a piece of terrain
   which is bigger than 50cm by 50cm, then the other player may
   place three pieces terrain of less than 25cm by 25cm in size as
   compensation. A player can never place a piece of terrain that
   is biggers than 75cm by 75cm in size.
6) Next roll 1d6 for the number of roads on the battlefield.
   Roads must be placed on the battlefield in the following way:
- All roads must begin and end at either a board edge, in an urban
  area or by connecting to another road;
- roads cannot loop back on themselves, but can cross over roads
  already placed on the battlefield;
- roads can cross over rivers once at any point, the player placing
  road decides whether the crossing is a ford or a bridge.
6) terrain placement is finished!