Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:44:05 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from Epic: 20-Feb-97 Re: [Epic] Net Epic by duckrvr_at_...
> At 02:47 PM 2/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
> > Warlock titans are *rare*. I don't feel they wander around in
> >battlegroup strength. I also hate paying 750 points for one of the damn
> >things, I never seem to get my money's worth.
> >
> >Mark
>
> I do like the 1 warlock/2 phantom group for 1350, though.

    Thanks. :)

> It's a shame you don't think Warlocks are worth it. I've always had great
> success with them.

    It's too many points in one barrage for my liking. :(

Anyways, I got around to doing it. Comments please, even if it won't be
used for NetEpic...

[cut here]

[some old rationale from last July I didn't bother to cut from my old post]

    Pulsars don't seem so bad, but then again, I'm an Eldar player. 6
Pulsars and 6 Lascannon wings in a Phantom BG, I can understand the
complaints about. But since most complaints about cheese seem to come
when multiples of an item are purchased, perhaps this should be reflected
in the costs. 1 Tremor Cannon is somewhat (if not very) pathetic. Two
Tremor Cannons, assuming it auto-hits, penetrates void shields, and has a
-4 save mod is worth it, especially since it's a configuration different
than anything else I've made but still effective. One Pulsar isn't bad.
Out of all the Eldar titans I've seen in Adeptus Titanicus, TL, Renegades,
White Dwarf, etc., 95% of them seem to have a pulsar. This makes up for
the other 4 weapons, which really aren't very good, with the exception of
the double Tremor cannon. GW has shown that Pulsars are a common Eldar
Titan weapon.

    If min-maxing eldar, you will generally see two lascannon wings, and
either Pulsar/Pulsar or Pulsar/Psy-lance.

    As a result, I'd propose that taking a weapon costs X. Taking a
duplicate of that weapon would cost 2X (plus the cost of the first).

Right, on to the weapons costs: Revenant costs are included here just
for laughs, and because I'd like to create alternate Revenant weapons
at some point. All numbers have been created only by perceived
estimation of value (the GW way)

All six of the main weapons are Phantom/Warlock only, to prevent the
obvious abuse. Lascannon wings are also Phantom/Warlock only.

2x cost the second time a weapon is chosen on the same titan.

Revenant Titan: Base Cost 100 points 0-2 arm mounts
Phantom Titan: Base cost 250 points 0-2 arm mounts, 0-2 wing upgrades
Warlock Titan: Base cost 375 points 0-2 arm mounts, 0-2 wing upgrades

Cost multiplier for equipment on a Phantom/Warlock is x1.
Cost multiplier for equipment on a Revenant is x0.5.

(Equipment is everything below this point)

Holo Fields: 150 points
(hey, I figure they're optional. Suicidal to skimp on, but still optional.)

Barrage Wing: free on Phantom/Warlock
1st Lascannon Wing upgrade: 50 points
2nd Lascannon Wing upgrade: 100 points
Revenant Wing Barrage and Scatter Laser: 100 points

Psy-lance: 100 points, Pulsar cost doubled.
Pulsar: 100 points
Tremor Cannon: 50 points
D-Cannon: 50 points
Heat Lance: 50 points
Pulse Laser: 50 points
Power Fist: 25 points

After all costs, round up to the nearest 50. Total up a battlegroup and
multiply by 2/3 before rounding to get the final cost of a battlegroup.

This makes (mostly for my own benefit to make sure the numbers are ok)...

1 L-wing/Pulsar/Power Fist Phantom (in Renegades) 575(600).
A battlegroup of them would be 1150.
1 L-wing/Pulsar/{Tremor,D,Heatlance} Phantom is 600.
1 L-wing/2xTremor Cannon Phantom is 600.
2 L-wing/2xPulsar Phantom is 900 points, but a mere 1800 for a battlegroup.
1 L-wing/Pulsar/Psylance Warlock would be 875(900) points.
1 L-wing/Psylance/Power Fist Warlock (pictured in TL) would be 700.
1 L-wing/Pulsar/{Tremor,D,Heatlance} Warlock is 700.
1 L-wing/Psylance/{Tremor,D,Heatlance} Warlock is 725(750).
0 L-wing/Heat Lance/Power Fist Phantom is 475(500).
A Revenant titan is 300 points. (go figure)

        If people believe that these numbers are a big high, the base costs
of a Phantom and Warlock can be dropped by 25 for pretty good results. Also,
this was originally conceived while 25 point increments were being considered
as a house rule for some units.

Mark