RE: house rules (was Re: [Epic] General Enquiry)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:49:40 -0600

> > > Cheese I would reserve for extreme things like Ork armies with
> > > no boyz - just nobz and skarboyz,
> >
> > This would rub me sooo much the wrong way I'd refuse to play against
> > it
> > in anything but the smallest battle. Unless the opposition could
> come
> > up with a reasonable excuse. Skarboyz aren't particularly
> > cost-effective,
> > but Nobz are the "Balancers" for the Orks, the very cost-effective
> > units
> > they have for having so much else that's utter rubbish.
> >

> Ah, Alan that reminds me. In your "flavour" rules for Orks (of which
> E41K is based in the main) did you mean for Bad Moons to be all Nobz
> and
> Shooty boys? I noticed that when I was looking over the stuff earlier
> this week and thought I had a transcription error, so I went and
> checked
> your original work, and it's there also.

--------> I will add that I am talking about the entire army on the
table - not just a detachment, so if there's a Bad Moonz unit which is
like the above, that's fine, but it would be a weird orky force if that
was all of it.

> > > IG armies with no normal infantry,
> >
> > I can _just_ imagine an all-tank force. Depends on the size of the
> > game.
> >

> You know you could do the early parts of the Sinai battles of the '73
> Arab / Israeli war that way. Both sides as IG, one all tanks (the
> Israeli side), one with TONS of support weapons (The Arab player).
> The
> Arab gets a ton of flak and the Israeli player gets 10 or so fighter
> bombers.

--------> I think even the Israeli's used some kind of mechanized
infantry in most of their battles then, didn't they? Then at least you
have Chimeras hauling troops. Again, I would use several all-tank
detachments, but I couldn't see myself taking no infatry at all in the
whole army. Might be an interesting scenario to try, though.

> > > Chaos which is entirely marines and imperial equipment but no
> > daemons,
> > > that kind of thing.
> >
> > OTOH I consider this entirely normal, especially for E30K battles.
> > Heck,
> > you have exactly the same as the SMs, but pay 1 pt more. What's
> wrong
> > with this?
>
> Point of order: In E30K they are not CSM they are Traitor Marines.
> They turn into CSM after they lose and flee into the eye of terror.

--------> This is a good point. I wouldn't look for daemons among the
Horus Heresy Battles, but then again I would probably use the Imperial
army tables for them too as they haven't been split long enough to
develop different TO&E's (Hey look at me, I used one of JML's favorite
TLA's). If you're using the Chaos army tables, you're not playing in
that timeframe almost by definition (berserkers, etc.).
With some of the later fluff I get the impression you might have them
coming to liberate a planet in open revolt , so you might throw in a
cultist group and some daemons, but they would be most unusual among the
marines (who weren't really pro-chaos at this point, just pro-horus and
anti-emperor).

Chris Miller