Re: [Epic] Using old style bases in E40k??r

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:15:13 -0800 (PST)

> -------> Orks do have a lousy WS, but I will take 2 autocannons at ws 3
> over 2 bolters at WS4 any day- better range, str8 vs str 4, better save
> mod, better penetration, 2 sustained fire dice..

Okay, maybe 2 fp is okay, but since they are not assault, then I would say
their AV would be 1.

> And as for a multimelta slagging a couple fo vehicles in one hit ...I
> don't know how as it's like a 2" blast template and I don't know about
> how you play, but my vehicles tend to stay a little further apart than
> that. The accurracy depends completely upon the person firing it, so
> orks are no less accurate than Imperial Guard or Eldar Guardians (All BS
> 3)

The two vehicle hit was a fluke on a pair of dreadnoughts one game it is
an extreme example.

> Let's look at relative 40K firepower:
> An Ork bike has 2 autocannon. A predator has 2 lascannons and an
> autocannon (typically). A predator is 2 fp while _3_ ork bikes have 1
> fp. Accurracy may play a part, but the bike squad has double the weapons
> of a single predator, and half the firepower - does that make sense? Not
> to me. Ork bikes are shooty units in WH40K, not assault vehicles, and
> personally I think FP2, Assault 2 would make more sense.

But then again, a predator with an autocannon and a pair of heavy bolters
has the same fp as a predator with two lascannon and a twin linked
lascannon in E40k, so I think that this argument is a little silly... I
think the current rules for the warbikes are rather good, and I have no
desire to see a change, they suit the force...

> Then there's War buggies: These are the orky equivalent of attack
> bikes in WH40K (twin hvy bolter, multi-melta, or hvy plasma gun are the
> main options) yet again, 1 fp in E40K. Should be 2, just like the other
> "attack" vehicles. Or maybe 1 AT...

In 40k my experience has been that buggyz unless manned with nobz are
next to useless. (guess I should have said orked with nobz :o) )

> Ork light vehicles are high-fp, low-armor units in WH40K and should be
> in E40K. I don't know if I'd say the orks are getting screwed, but these
> units do play quite differently between the 2 games, unlike many other
> units.
I agree with you to apoint, but they fall inbetween 1 and 2 fp. again,
their current stats suit them well. I apologise for my previous post which
was a little hasty and poorly thought about...

Steve

When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...