RE: [Epic] Using old style bases in E40k??r

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:01:06 -0600

> > So since the Ork bikes in 40k have twinlinked A/C, shouldn't they be
> rated
> > with more fp, rather than just having a longer range? After all, in
> 40k
> > the Ork bike squadrons outperform their SM counterparts.
> >
> > yeah, its another "orks got screwed in e40k" post from me. sorry.
>
> No they didn't, While twin linked ACs sound like a lot of firepower,
> they
> really aren't, they are in that awkward category between anti
> personnel
> and anti tank. Orks can't hit a thing, even when stationary, and the
> autocannon cannot kill anything larger than a marine or scout vehicle,
> whereas a multimelta can slag a couple of vehicles in one hit, and is
> deadly accurate. The only difference should be range...
> Yet another useless incoherent grunt from me, thinking that bikes with
> 45cm range is a nice thing indeed...

-------> Orks do have a lousy WS, but I will take 2 autocannons at ws 3
over 2 bolters at WS4 any day- better range, str8 vs str 4, better save
mod, better penetration, 2 sustained fire dice..

And as for a multimelta slagging a couple fo vehicles in one hit ...I
don't know how as it's like a 2" blast template and I don't know about
how you play, but my vehicles tend to stay a little further apart than
that. The accurracy depends completely upon the person firing it, so
orks are no less accurate than Imperial Guard or Eldar Guardians (All BS
3)

Let's look at relative 40K firepower:
    An Ork bike has 2 autocannon. A predator has 2 lascannons and an
autocannon (typically). A predator is 2 fp while _3_ ork bikes have 1
fp. Accurracy may play a part, but the bike squad has double the weapons
of a single predator, and half the firepower - does that make sense? Not
to me. Ork bikes are shooty units in WH40K, not assault vehicles, and
personally I think FP2, Assault 2 would make more sense.
    Then there's War buggies: These are the orky equivalent of attack
bikes in WH40K (twin hvy bolter, multi-melta, or hvy plasma gun are the
main options) yet again, 1 fp in E40K. Should be 2, just like the other
"attack" vehicles. Or maybe 1 AT...

Ork light vehicles are high-fp, low-armor units in WH40K and should be
in E40K. I don't know if I'd say the orks are getting screwed, but these
units do play quite differently between the 2 games, unlike many other
units.

(No, I didn't post originally, but I will back it up)

Chris Miller