[Epic] Somewhat OT; 40K CC

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 22:38:37 -0600

OK, I've been really bored recently, so I analyzed the part I hate most
about 40K; the CC system.

I hate the one side inflicts 4 hits, the other side 0 aspect. I really
hate the all 1's are fumbles, while the first 6 is not a critical. I
really really hate that you have to "give" your opponent +1 to his value
instead of subtracting one of from your own on a fumble, simply because
of the added complication.

Finally, I hated the multiple attack dice with the any 1 a fumble rule,
as I always roll a one with any group of 3 or more dice I throw. I
haven't played many games of 40k, but I did buy a 1/2 price bug army,
which at least is fun to paint.

So the point ot all of this, as best I can remember, is that I worked
out the value of multiple attack dice. For this analysis, I just
subtracted 1 from the total for each 1 rolled, as it works out the same
anyways. Thus a roll of 1,1,2 counts as a 0.

The results verified my feelings about multiple attack dice; 4 or more
attack dice is of almost no value. Here is the Average roll vs. number
of dice roled

1 die = 3.3
2 dice = 4.16
3 dice = 4.56
4 dice = 4.73
5 dice = 4.83

While you do have a higer chance of rolling a 6 with 5 dice than 3, you
also have a higher chance of rolling a 1.

Note that not being a statistical genius, I did this the hard way with a
massive set of Quatro Pro tables. There is no way in hell I'd do 6 dice
this way. There is a pattern of increase going to more dice, but I have
no incentive to figure it out.

Thane