[Epic] E40K Detachments

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 12:58:45 -0700 (PDT)

++++START TRANSMISSION
++FILE TRANSMISSION: dets.txt
++COMMENTS:
Okay, here it is, I originally wanted to make an Access Database and
enter units, but enough people complained that this woldn't work as the
detachments need to be put into context with the rest of the force,
others wanted to know the strengths and weaknesses of detachments, well,
what I have done, is taken all the detachments and forces from my thread
and the ideal 2000 point army thread, and I have analyzed them, either
piecewise or as a whole. This is probably going to be an ongoing project,
as I will ultimately have tactics for individual units, but for now, here
it is, in plain old text format, longer than anyone wants, and not yet
organized by race...
It is intended as a good source for beginning players, and a look at
other peoples styles for the experienced. I learnt a lot whilst
working on it.
Thanks to:
Thane Morgan, Elias, Anvil, Chris Pinson, Cyril Crocker, Elaine, Sean
Smith, Mike Reed and Scott Shupe.
I would included Aerich's Jesters, but they were thoroughly analyzed on
the list. If enough people complain I will add them in for the sense of
completeness.

++BEGIN

IMPERIAL SPACE MARINES
Thane has given me some of his favourite Space Marine Detachments, and a
few tactics that go along with them. On the whole, I think his force is a
little slow by marine standards, and a lot of the detachments are prone to
close assault. There are some really good detachments though.

NAME: Tactical Strong Point (Cost:392, Morale:8, Half Strength:12)
TYPE:Space Marine Infantry
COMMAND: Captain in LR
MAIN FORCE:
5 Tacs in rhinos
SUPPORT:
2 LR's
4 support weapons.

TACTICAL NOTES:
This is a nice unit to find cover over moderately open areas and go on
overwatch, but it is fast enough to firefight something which gets
positioned badly, and can hold its own in combat because of the marines.
The 8 anti tank shots are very useful.

DOWNSIDES:
The Land Raiders might be a problem speed-wise, especially if misdeployed.
A good assault, placed right can crack the big guns and send them running,
watch out for the marine shield though. This unit might find itself
becoming a target rather quickly.

NAME: Tactical Drop Force (Cost:300, Morale:6, Half Strength:9)
TYPE: SM Infantry
COMMAND: Captain
         Librarian
MAIN FORCE:
5 tac squads (Deployed in pods)
SUPPORT:
5 support weapons (Pods)

TACTICS:
This is a good flanking drop force for harrying an advancing unit, or
sweeping in behind if ignored to catch fleers from and FF. Not a
terrible loss if you get pincered yourself. A very good firefighting
detachment, especially if on overwatch, and the librarian will help the
unit from being overrun in CC. If deployed into cover, the longevity of
this unit will be increased quite dramatically. Since the unit will be in
the enemies neck of the woods, it will limit him as to what he can do.

DOWNSIDES:
Some people may not allow the use of support platforms in drops pods. The
platforms will be the first to be destroyed by incoming fire. Again, a
good assault can be deadly, especially since the unit is cut off from the
rest of its main force and can be easily surrounded and destroyed when
broken. Artillery is useful against shooty units like this, but then
again, artillery is useful against nearly anything.
Expect this detachment to draw a lot of fire from advancing units with
nothing better to fire upon.

NAME: Main Armor Detat (Cost: 431, Morale:9, Half Strength: 8)
TYPE: Space Marine Armour
COMMAND: Librarian in LR
MAIN FORCE:
5 LR's
3 predators
SUPPORT:
3 tac squads (ride in LR's)

TACTICS:
12 AT shots ensures 2 blast markers, predators are slightly cheaper BM
sponges, and can put a third BM down in most circumstances. Librarian is
there for CC bolstering. Tac are deployed in front of tanks when expecting
heavy incoming fire or a CC. Can also hold a point on overwatch very
well. Sometimes I'll drop the predators. The 6+ armour of the vehicles
makes this a very tough detachment.

DOWNSIDES:
Again, the Land Raiders movement may hinder this detachment. A well
coordinated close combat could leave this detachment in ruins, the key is
to make it past the marines in front. Good CC troops will have no problem.
The detachment is pricey, and the marines are of limited use. with the
slow speed, this detachment could be avoided. Whilst very good at dealing
death, confusion (ie. Blast markers) are not plentiful.

NAME: Attack bikes (Cost:195, Morale:4, Half Strength:7)
TYPE: Space Marine Armour
COMMAND
1 Captain on bike
1 librarian on bike
MAIN FORCE
6 attack bikes
5 bikes

TACTICS
This is a cheap harrying force, good for slowing a front through cheesy
firefight selection. It can also swoop in on the weak or blastmarker
laden enemy unit and surround them in a firefight, cutting them off from
escape.

DOWNSIDE
NOT GOOD AT FRONTAL CC ATTACKS, so resist the temptation. The good news
is that if you succumb to temptation, you only lose 4 morale. This unit
is vulnerable to fliers (4 thunderhawks once wiped out the whole damn
thing); see above statement.I usually deploy this detat in pairs. If not,
I take 9 attack bikes and 6 regular.
The bikes are more of a CC enforcer, like the Librarian and captain. The
unit would probably be more efficient if the captain was dropped, and the
bikes were limited to attack bikes only, that way, the force is a
dedicated Firefight unit, say Librarian and 9 attack bikes, 150 points, 3
morale, 5 half strength.

NAME: Assault Co. (Cost:255(289), Morale: 6, Half:6(7))
TYPE: Space Marine Infantry
COMMAND:
Captain w/packs
Librarian with packs
MAIN FORCE:
5 (or 6) assault squads

TACTICS
OK,I dont like using transports with my assault troops. They move as
fast as I want them to as is (in most cases), can be podded in and I can
use the points for another squad or two. Also, I've found throwing them
into another detat on the first or second turn ends up leaving them
surrounded and isolated on turn 2 or 3, which royally sucks. I usually
opperate this units in pairs, who can then crunch one or two detats and
get the psyker bonus on top of whatever else.

DOWNSIDES:
There is a lack of mobility, which could be a problem. As with the rest of
the troops though, this detachments limiting move is 20cm (same as LRs...)
therefore the squad may not be too bad. The lack of rhinos is
significant. For 7 points, the detachment is boosted number wise, and the
rhinos act as a shield, addmittedly they are no longer a liability for
being charged, but when being shot at, it is nice to have that shield. The
detachment also needs some close fire supremacy. A couple of vindicators
will make this a competent firefighting detachment.

NAME: Devastator Detatchment (Cost:390, Morale: 8, Half Strength:10)
TYPE: Space marine infantry
COMMAND:
Captain in LR
Librarian in LR
MAIN FORCE
5 Devastators in Rhinos

TACTICS:
Sometimes I'll add 3 tac stands or some AT weapons in LR's, but recently
I've been playing these guys naked (painted a tasteful blue, though).
That may be due to wanting to field more in you face units, though.
Also, don't be afraid to firefight with these guys. I've surprised
people a few times with this tactic.

DOWNSIDES:
Very prone to assaults (as marines go). This detachment will draw fire
unless it is in cover, and it is expensive for the amount of troops you
get.

DETACHMENT: 3 thunder hawks (Cost: 265, Morale: 6, Half Strength: 2)
TACTICS: Air support only, it is safer to use drop pods to deploy the
marines.
DOWNSIDES: They only come in every other turn.

DETACMENT: 5 Thunderbolts (Cost: 175, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 3)
TACTICS: Air superiority, 'nuff said.
DOWNSIDES: Waste of points if enemy has no flyers.

This offering was sent to me by Anvil, who has a unique way of
constructing a tyranid force.

NAME: Swarm 1 (Tactical) (Cost: 460, Morale: 10, Half Strength: 15)
TYPE: Tyranid Brood
COMMAND (SYNAPSE):
1 Hive tyrant
4 Tyranid warriors
MAIN FORCE
15 Termagants
1 Zoanthrope
3 Carnifex
6 Assault spawn

TACTICS:
This Detachment covers the role of a tactical squad, it has a lot of cheap
generic units, and can fend for itself equally well in both a firefight
and close combat. It is a jack of all trades and a master of none.

DOWNSIDES:
It is large clumsy and expensive. Although tyranids do not need to worry
about being pinned by BMs, the unit is big enough that if misdeployed, it
will be very dead by the time it gets anywhere. A unit 2/3 the size would
be more ideal.

NAME: Swarm 2 (Assault) (Cost:490, Morale: 10, Half Strength:17)
TYPE: Tyranid Brood
COMMAND (SYNAPSE)
1 Hive tyrant
4 Tyranid warriors
MAIN FORCE
10 Genestealers
10 Hormagaunts
5 Carnifex
3 Assault spawn

TACTICS:
This is the sort of detachment that Tyranids are designed for; Eat your
way across the field. Using the tactical and devestator detachments to
provide covering fire charge the field. On the first turn, if your
opponent has no artillery, Marching might be a good option. The size could
be used to assault multiple detachments, that way, the BM accumulation
could be overwhelming, and several detachments driven off in one go.

DOWNSIDES:
Again, this detachment is too big, it could be split into two equally
effective units. The same tactic as above will still apply, except now
there is a degree more flexibility. As with all large detachments, each
failed reserve roll is a large blow to the effectiveness of your own table
troops.

NAME: Swarm 3 (Devestator) (Cost:544, Morale 11, Half Strength:12)
TYPE: Tyranid vehicle
COMMAND:
4 Tyranid warriors
MAIN FORCE:
10 Biovore3
6 Dactylis
3 Exocrine3

TACTICS:
Barrage, disrupt and AT, there is only one thing to do with these chaps.
vIf a good position for overwatch fire can be obtained, then this
detachment can utterly destroy and paralyze anything within range.

DOWNSIDES:
Once again, this detachment is MASSIVE. It can be avoided, and if it
possible, using fast assault troops in fast transports, it is possible to
jump in and CC them, although, a good 'nid player will see this coming
and react immediately.. Split into two swarms, this would be a lot more
effective.

OVERALL TACTICAL PLAN:
The battle plan is this, swarm 3 pounds the target detachment to
paralyze with blast markers (they are on overwatch). Swarm 1 rushes up
and shoots, hopefully inflicting casualties (they are on assault). Swarm
2 follows closely behind swarm 1 and assaults the target detachment.
The stealers go in first so that the faster hormagaunts can penetrate
deeply into the target. The carnifexi attack the most resilient units
and the spawn try to get deep into the target as well.
This army has eaten 1 warlord, 2 reavers, and innumerable marine and orc
infantry. It was, however, beaten by orcs in sub-300 point detachments
with a lot of firepower. Apparently, too many choices on the menu confuse
hive tyrants.

DOWNSIDES:
The tactical inflexibility of the massive units will be a massive problem
in certain situations. By Splitting the detachments, the same plan can be
used to a much better potential. By picking off the synapse creatures, the
detachments are practically ruined, by tyranid standards anyways. SHWs are
going to be very useful against this one.

More Marines and some Imperial forces from Chris Pinson...
These detachments differ from the rest of those already discussed, since
they are small stand alones, that can be used as a support squadron or
just small effective units.

TYPE: SM Armour (Cost:184, Morale:4, Half Strength:3)
COMMAND:
Land Raider
MAIN FORCE
2 Land Raiders
2 Predators

TACTICS:
This unit is small and shooty, Multiples of them will make a formidable
force. They ahve predators for BM soaking, and the remaining 6AT shots
are bound to make the opponent think twice about ignoring this tiny unit.

DOWNSIDE:
Although each of the vehicles is very tough, It is not difficult to break
the detachment. IT may be difficult to break it before it earns its
points though.

TYPE: SM Armour (Cost: 95, Morale: 2, Half Strength:4)
COMMAND:
Attack Bike
MAIN FORCE:
6 Attack bikes

TACTICS:
This is one of the cheapest units that you can field and still make
effective; 2 morale for defeat, and it manages to pack a whopping 14
firepower... There really is only one use for a squad like this:
Firefighting. it is fast (30cm) and as shooty as an overwatched marine.
Even on assault orders, the firepower can be quite effective.

DOWNSIDES:
These vehicles are very fragile, and prone to assaults, but hey, at 95
points, who cares. Be careful not to take too many attack bikes, it seems
that a lot of people find them under priced

TYPE: Artillery Detachment (Cost:202, Morale:5, Half Strength:2)
COMMAND:
Siege Artillery
MAIN FORCE:
3 Heavy Artillery

TACTICS:
Artillery is always good, This detachment is small and really cheap, yet
it is still very useful for ensuring that your opponent will not bunch his
troops together, which in turn will slow down his assault upon you. After
the siege atillery has fired (On overwatch of course), it might be a good
idea to move the detachment to a better/ safer place. I find that marching
artillery on the first turn is very useful, as the faster heavies can get
into range quicker, and be better matched to the siege. The marching is
safe on thefirst turn, as drop pods and flyers are not going to be around,
and enemy artillery, like your own, is not going to be in range unless you
have a small table.

DOWNSIDES:
The battery is easy to break, and will therefore be a prime target for
flyers, try including a Hydra, the power of these units is not in their
firepower (I have never fired one), it lies in their ability to deter
planes and make them pick another target. If this unit is not defended by
another detachment, then it will find itself assaulted. It is a lot of
morale for 2 dead models...

Here we have some detachments from Elias, he is relatively new to the
game, so his detachments are going to show some fresh insight...

NAME: Kult of Speed #1 (Cost:368, Morale:8, Half Strength:12)
TYPE: Kult Of Speed
COMMAND:
Weirdboy battlewagon
Warboss battlewagon
MAIN FORCE:
6 Speed Freeks
9 Battlewagons
2 Speedstas with LD
SUPPORT:
6 Grotz

TACTICS:
This is a quick shooty detachment, get out and into postition quickly and
then put the grots in cover and use them as a shield. The LD speedstas are
a good way to ensure that the enemy does not bunch up too close together.
On overwatch this detachment can hurt, and it's speed will allow it to
grab any terrain area it wants before the enemy. Use as a front line
offensive. It will most definitely be broken by the end of the game, but
it should earn its points. With the grotz and all, this is a reasonably
competent firefighting unit too. I would reccomend dropping the speedstas
and picking up more grots, and replacing the freekz with bikes.

DOWNSIDES:
Having the LD Speedstas means the squadron is going to draw a lot of fire,
and will be broken faster than if no speedsta were present, and will not
earn it's keep as well. The mixed ranges of the wagons and the freekz
could be problematic, as longer ranged weapons are going to sit and pick
off the unit. Close assault is the massive achilles heel of this
detachment, the grotz are weak, and the speedstas and freeks no better, be
very wary of approaching jump pack marines (personal story, I was
slaughtered...). Mounting some skarboyz on the wagonz instead of grotz
would be a worthy investment. After dropping the speedstas and adding
skarboyz, the cost should stay level.

NAME: Warlord Detachment #1 (Cost: 258, Morale: 6, Half Strength: 9)
TYPE: Ork Mob
COMMAND
Warlord Upgraded to Boarboy
BODYGUARD:
16 Boarboyz

TACTICS:
With a massive assault and crappy weapons, this detachments only excuse
for not being on assault is if they need to march first turn to get a good
bit of ground covered. Assault is the only way to go with these guys.

DOWNSIDES:
Although they have good armour, it is a rather pure CC detachment, and as
such will find itself prone to fire. Try to avoid firefighting or, keep
one of the KOS close by to deter any FF action. The increased armour of
these guys make them the toughest bike/cavalry in the game, combined with
their assault, their only downside is the speed.

NAME: Warband #1 (Cost:429, Morale: 9, Half Strength:16)
COMMAND:
Warboss mounted in battlewagon
MAIN FORCE:
9 Boyz
SUPPORT:
15 Battlewagons
4 Pulsa Rokkits
2 Big Guns

TACTICS:
Using the KOS and boarz as a good distraction, the battlewagons with the
infantry and weapons riding along, can advance quite far into the field,
because they are mounted, your opponent will not know what if anything,
the cargo is, use this to your advantage, march or assault into position,
then go into overwatch, the fp of this detachment is impressive: 28 + 4
disrupt, it might be worthwhile upgrading to shooty boyz, which will raise
the detachment ot 10 morale but have 37 fp at 45cm.

DOWNSIDES:
If this detachment is shot up while the troops are in transport, then it
could be quite catastrophic, watch out, and make sure the detachment is
shielded. It is very large, and is putting all the eggs into one basket so
to speak.

NAME: Kult of Speed #2 (Cost: 379, Morale: 8, Half Strength: 13)
COMMAND:
Weirdboy battlewagon
Warboss battlewagon
MAIN FORCE:
9 Speed Freeks
9 Battlewagons
SUPPORT:
6 Nobz

TACTICS etc.
The same applies to the previous KOS. This detachment is nice and fast,
therefore it will be a good tactical style squadron.

NAME: Warlord #2 (Cost: 690, Morale: 14, Half Damage: 12)
Warlord Mega Gargant

TACTICS:
Being the warlord, the gargant gets max shields, these things are big
tough and have a hell of a lot of firepower. Try to get on a road to
maximize the speed at which you are closing the distance between the enemy
and you. If nothing else, use the threat of this massive lumbering lump of
steel to intimidate your opponent into firing everything he has at it,
this will allow you to advance the rest of your troops unhindered, if he
does not choose to fire, then he is at risk of the gargant getting in
range.

DOWNSIDES:
Only 5+ armour and power fields not regenerating, this can make the
gargant easy prey to death rays and the like. I have seen an ork mob drop
a mega gargant by shooting everything they had into it. Admittedly I was
lucky, but you still have to be careful.

NAME: Warband #2 (Cost: 559, Morale:12, Half Strength: 20)
TYPE: Big ass ork mob
COMMAND:
Weirdboy battlewagon
Warboss mounted in battlewagon
MAIN FORCE:
5 Nobz
5 Boyz
SUPPORT:
18 Battlewagons
8 Big Guns

TACTICS:
If you were to try and define this detachment, then it would most
definitely fall under the category of devestator, it 45cm range, it has 36
firepower, absolutely obscene. Again, under the cover of better targets
advance the wagonz with the troops hanging on the side. Set up in the
right place, this will be a hard detachment to remove especially if one of
the commanders is within command radius to make them stubborn.

DOWNSIDES:
As with all big detachments, this is going to be a big target, make sure
not too many blast markers build up otherwise it could be paralyzed. When
broken it will surrender a lot of morale points.

NAME: Warband #3 (Cost:432, Morale: 9, Half Strength:14)
TYPE: Ork Mob
COMMAND:
Weirdboy battlewagon
Warboss Stompa
MAIN FORCE:
8 Grotz
5 Nobz
8 Boyz
SUPPORT
5 Stompas

TACTICS:
This is a slow detachment and will be of limited use in an offensive role,
but in the defensive it will be quite good. It would be a good idea to
march them in the first turn to get ahead a little, then keep them near
the mega gargant, because this detachment WILL draw fire. It might be a
good idea to use this as another target while the faster units charge
round behind the enemy and pound his flanks.

DOWNSIDES:
The Half strength is nice, but the detachment is too slow for the rest of
the army. If more walking troops were taken it might be nice. It would
probably function better if the grotz were dropped (Grotz and stompas
DON'T mix) and replaced with more nobz, and a few battlewagons were added
to shield the stompas. This detachment is succeptible to everything except
CC and firefights, and it is too slow to get to where the action is.

NAME: Kult of Speed #3 (Cost:346, Morale: 7, Half Strength: 11)
TYPE: KOS Mob
COMMAND:
Warboss battlewagon
MAIN FORCE:
9 Battlewagons
9 Speed Freeks
SUPPORT:
2 Speedstas with Death Ray

TACTICS AND DOWNSIDES:
See previous KOS comments.

Cyril Crocker enters the fray with a couple of Eldar detachments. Eldar
are proving to be one of the less popular forces around.

NAME: Detachment 1 (Cost: 473, Morale: 9, Half Strength: 9)
TYPE: War Host
COMMAND: Farseer in falcon
MAIN FORCE:
5 Guardian stands, 1 with Warlock, all mounted in Falcons.
SUPPORT:
4 Night Spinners
1 Fire Prism

TACTICS:
No mention of a commander was made, but either a farseer in a falcon, or a
farseer on a vyper will suffice just fine. This is the fastest kind of
artillery available, it is probably worthwhile to march first turn, that
will place the detachment wherever it needs to be, then sit back and
shoot, the blast marker potential for this detachment is amazing, up to 7
at one detachment. It would not be a bad idea to put the guardians in wave
serpents and then rely on disruption to pin anything that gets close,
leaving the guardians for firefights (which is their only use).

DOWNSIDES:
With the speed of the artillery, and the structure of the eldar hosts, it
is difficult to decide what to do with them. The only advice I have is If
you make a plan, STICK TO IT. Eldar are fragile and expensive so beware of
damage. Use a sacrificial detachment to draw as much fire as possible
until you are in cover.

Also suggested was a detachment consisting of swwoping hawks with exarchs.
Fast mean and relatively cheap, a sure fire assault success. (10 swooping
hawk exarchs is 175 points, or better yet 185/195 with 1/2 warlocks, that
is 50 assault, 30 move with 2 psykers for under 200 points)

NAME: Warhost 2
TYPE: War Host (Cost: 441, Morale: 9, Half Strength: 8)
COMMAND: Farseer in Falcon
MAIN FORCE:
3 Dark Reaper Stands, 1 with Warlock, all mounted in Falcons
2 Empty Falcons
SUPPORT:
1 Support Platform Battery, 2 units
2 Night Spinners
1 Fire Prism

TACTICS:
This is a classic Devestator style detachment, dig in and go on overwatch,
the reapers and warlock should be some help against assaults.

DOWNSIDES:
As with all Dev. detachments, they are very soft when it comes to
assaults and artillery. Make sure they are in cover and then screen them
with a tough assault detachment such as the rather mobile and deadly
exarch SH detachment mentioned earlier.

Here is Elaine's really nice ideal 200 point force. and here is what she
had to say about it:

"I tried to come up with a 2,000 point Ork army to capture the flavor of
the all of the Ork clans. However, I ended up with such small
detachment sizes, that I wonder how effective this force might be. Any
comments?"

Comments are what I am here for. Since this is an entire force, I will
leave my role as Devil's advocate until the end.

NAME: Sarur Naz, Warlord of Dark Moon Tribe
                                (Cost: 350, Morale: 7, Half Strength: 9DC)
TYPE: Gargant Warlord
MAIN FORCE:
    Warlord in command gargant

NAME: Bad Moons Moongleamz Bossclan
TYPE: Ork mob (Cost:299, Morale: 6, Half Strength: 10)
COMMAND:
    Wazgrim Narbad, Warboss w/Battlewagon
    Weirdboy in Battletower
MAIN FORCE:
    Nobz Mob (2)
    Shooty Boyz Mob (2)
    Boyz Mob (1)
    Boyz Mob (1)
    Gretchen Mob (2)
SUPPORT:
    Battlewagon Mob (2)
    Traktor Kanon Big Gunz Mob (2)
    Shokk Attack Big Gunz Mob (2)
    Stompa
    Dreadnought

NAME: Blood Ax Teef Snatchas Bigmob
TYPE: Ork Mob (Cost: 198, Morale:4, Half Strength: 7)
COMMAND:
    Duffskab Mugshak, Warboss w/Battlewagon
MAIN FORCE:
    Nobz Mob (1)
    Stormboyz Korps (3)
    Kommandos Mob (2)
SUPPORT
    Battlewagon Mob (2)
    Speed Freeks Mob (2)
    Flakwagon

NAME: Deathskulls Deathbonez Bigmob
TYPE: Ork Mob (Cost: 200, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 6)
COMMAND:
    Urty-Slag Gutsnik, Warboss w/Battlewagon
MAIN FORCE
    Nobz Mob (1)
    Shooty Boyz Mob (1)
    Boyz Mob (2)
    Boyz Mob (2)
SUPPORT:
    Pulsa Rokkit Big Gunz (1)
    Stompa
    Dreadnought
    Flakwagon

NAME: Evil Sunz Sungrinz Bigmob
TYPE: Ork Mob (Cost: 197, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 8)
COMMAND:
    Grublug Skumskab, Warboss w/Battlewagon
MAIN FORCE:
    Nobz Mob (1)
    Boyz Mob (3)
    Boyz Mob (2)
SUPPORT:
    Battlewagon Mob (2)
    Battlewagon Mob (2)
    Battlewagon Mob (2)

NAME: Goff Black Gruntz Bigmob
TYPE: Ork Mob (Cost: 132, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 5)
COMMAND:
    Gobstuf Gutzkop, Warboss
    Weirdboy
MAIN FORCE:
    Nobz Mob (2)
    Skarboyz Mob (4)

NAME: Goff Garg Dur Karts
TYPE: Battle fortress Squadron (Cost: 170, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 4)
MAIN FORCE:
    Battle Fortress
    Battle Fortress

NAME: Snake-Bites Batwingz Bigmob
TYPE: Boarz Mob (Cost: 154, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 5)
COMMAND:
    Wortgul Oguz, Warboss on Boar
MAIN FORCE:
    Boarboyz (3)
    Boarboyz (2)
    Boyz Mob (1)
SUPPORT:
    Squiggoth
    Squiggoth

NAME: Nark Karts Kult
TYPE: Kultists (Cost:150, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 4)
COMMAND:
    Nazgut Wortnob, Warboss Buggy
MAIN FORCE:
    Speed Freeks Mob (3)
    Bikeboyz Mob (3)
SUPPORT:
    Speedsta w/Death Ray

NAME: Snazzy Narks Kult
TYPE: Kultists (Cost: 150, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 4)
COMMAND: 150
    Durgrim Grotslag, Warboss Buggy
    Speed Freeks Mob (3)
    Bikeboyz Mob (3)
    Speedsta w/Lifta Droppa

Army Total .............................................................
2000

TACTICS:
I wanted a force with two strong anchor detachments with a balance of
shooty detachments, assault detachments, and speedy detachments to
compliment the two anchors. The army could be deployed to take
advantage of pincer, wedge, inverted wedge, and oblique formations.

Detachment Functions:
The Deathskulls and Bad Moons are shooty troops and I envision them as
forming a battle line/group with the gargant.
The Snake-Bites, Blood Axes, and Goffs are the first assault wave and
form a battle line/group with the battle fortresses.
A Kult of Speed on each flank, and the mechanized Evil Sunz as a reserve
detachment to be deployed where needed.

Strengths:
Flexibility of deployment. The shooty detachments have a decent chance
in an assault. The assault units are not bereft of fire power.

DOWNSIDES:
The size of the units present a problem in that they are easier to
break. The Orks take a lot of pounding as their predominately infantry
detachments advance. My biggest fear is the units breaking before being
able to close with the enemy. Also a smart commander will lay on lots of
blast markers and then devour a unit at a time to get the morale bonus. A
tyranid or eldar commander will love a force like this.

I tried to remain faithful to the fluff, but at 2,000 points, I could
not maintain the Nobz, Boyz, and Gretchen ratios of the clans.

Although the background is nice and the varied nature of the force is
nice, none of the detachments poses a large threat. For 2000 points,
taking the battlefortresses might be a waste, a kult of wagons with a
boss wagon and 9 wagons is cheaper and would cover the roles a lot better.

It seems strange that the detachments are optimized to minimize morale.
This is good when they die, but there are many other factors in the game
that require morale to be high (BMs, objectives etc.) IMHO a 201 point
detachment has more worth than a 200, but some would argue it all
balances out in the end.

More Tyranids from Sean Smith. Again, thiis is taken from the ideal 2000
thread, (could I please use it? :o)) There was a problem with the synapse
creatures, as the original list had only one synapse, not three, to
counter this I have added a pair of tyranid warriors to whatever command
was in existance. There was a revision to this, but I have misplaced, my
apologies to sean. It is no longer a 2000 point force, but it is easy to
adapt, I like the force as is...

NAME: Mycetic Swarm (Cost 329, Morale: 7, Half Strength: 16)
TYPE: Mycetic Swarm
COMMAND: 1 Hive Tyrants, 2 Tyranid warriors
MAIN FORCE:
3 Temagant broods (5 per brood)
7 Genestealer broods (2 per brood)

NAME: Dominatrix (Cost: 490, Morale: 10, Half Strength:
TYPE: Tryanid Hive mind Synapse-Nexus
COMMAND: Dominatrix

NAME: 1st Tyranid Swarm (Cost: 456, Morale:10, Half Strength: 12)
TYPE: Tyranid Swarm
COMMAND:
1 Hive Tyrant, 2 tyranid warriors
MAIN FORCE:
9 Dactylis
12 Termagents

NAME: 2nd Tyranid Swarm (Cost: 367, Morale: 8, Half Strength: 11)
TYPE: Tyranid Swarm
COMMAND:
1 Hive Tyrant, 2 Tyranid Warriors
MAIN FORCE:
1 Zoanthrope
7 Assault Spawn
10 Genestealer broods

NAME: 3rd Tyranid Swarm (Cost: 402, Morale:9, Half Strength: 14)
TYPE: Tyranid Swarm
COMMAND:
2 Hive Tyrants, 1 Tyranid warrior
MAIN FORCE:
2 Zoanthropes
2 Assault Spawn
15 Hormagaunts
6 Lictors

TACTICS:
This army is designed to get into close combat asap. The idea being that
the quicker it gets into close combat the less opportunity the enemy has
to reduce its strength with direct and indirect fire power.
This army wants to have much terrain on the battlefield as possible,
particularly woods. The 1st Swarm should match into woods within range of
the enemy and then use its disrupt weapons to reduce enemy fire at the
other swarms.
The other swarms should always be on march orders until they get within
charge reach of enemy detachments. They should avoid being in range and
LOS of enemy direct fire weapons as much as possible. Ideally the swams
should march from wood to wood.
Its vital that the hive tryants always attempt to be out of range or LOS
of enemy anti-tank weapons and deathrays. Hive tryants therefore should
always try end their movement in a wood or building.
I haven't included airpower because I don't think the cost justifies the
benefits, particularly because tyranid airpower is so easily countered by
other armies.

The functions of specific detachments in the army:

The mycetic swarm is multi-functional. First, it creats uncertainty in
the enemy mind. Second, it can be used take out the enemies long range
direct and direct fire units, if the enemy leaves them unprotected. If
the enemy protects his long range direct and direct fire units, this
reduces the resources he has to do other things. Third the spores enable
swarm to get close enemy detachments without being fired at. Ideally they
should be dropped in wood. I am not happy with design of this swarm, I
will post a redesign version at a later date.
The Dominatrix role is primarily to provide the additional reroll and to
support assaults. A secondary role is to deal with titans with its death
rays and energy pulse. The idea would be that the temagants and assault
spawn would knock down the shields of enemy titans and then the
Dominatrix would fire.

The function of the 1st swarm is to disrupt enemy detachments, thereby
making it easier to assault them. The temagants were include to act as a
snapfire screen. If the enemy does not have aircraft then the temagants
can be used to fire directly at the enemy. I decided not include
exocrines because would be easily countered by IG and Chaos artillery and
dactylis are much better at disrupting enemy detachments and dealing with
enemy short range artillery, such as whirlwinds.
It is particularly important that assault spawn in the 2nd swarm are more
than 6cm apart, when they are transporting units, because if a vehicle
touched by a barrage template it is considered to be under it.

Armies Strengths:
- Highly manvourable.
- Excellent in close assault.

Armies Weakness:
- Very vulnerable to enemy long range direct and indirect fire,
  if in the open.
- It will have a difficulty to dealing with enemy titans.
- If the hive tryants are taken out the army is in deep shit.

All of that was written by Sean, I think it covers most of the points and
more. I do have to disagree with him on one major topic; flyers. Tyranid
flyers are IMHO some of the best available. While the Harridan is okay,
the gargoyles are cheap, very available to the gamer, and excessively
plentiful in the detachment, they are amazing at swarming any target. With
the new optional GW rules on gargoyles being combination flyers/skimmers,
they are even more powerful.
The Anti-titan weakness could easily be overcome by throwing in some
exocrines and biovores, the two together work quite well and from personal
experience I have come to fear them combined.

After I posted to the list asking why noone played Chaos, I was sent this
nice rather demonic army list from Mike Reed

NAME: The Wild Hunt (Cost: 352, Morale: 8, Half Strength: 9)
TYPE: Daemon Detachment
COMMAND:
Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
3 Bloodthirsters
15 Flesh Hounds

TACTICS:
75cm movement when they charge. A _horrible_ assault factor, and
enormously durable. The size helps them avoid being pinned by fire
early on, and as long as you can avoid being jumped by bikers they'll
do horrible things to the enemy's main line. Even when they don't get
into HtH, they attract a disproportionate ammount of firepower - and survive.

DOWNSIDES:
It is a completely useless detachment if pinned by Blast markers. If they
are caught in a firefight they do not stand a chance, their opponent will
automatically get +4 to the dice roll.

NAME: The Fists of Khorne (Cost: 285, Morale: 6, Half Strength: 4)
TYPE: Chaos Space Marines
COMMAND: Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
4 Chaos Space Marines (inc. HQ)
SUPPORT:
4 Chaos Artillery

TACTICS:
Artillery - 'nuff said. The inclusion of the marines means that they're
bought as a marine detatchment rather than eating a precious chaos
engine slot, and disciplines me into keeping them guarded! On their
reload turns, they can effectively reposition by going onto march or
assault. Finally, the greater concentration of fire means they're more
likely to leave an opponent with blast markers.

DOWNSIDES:
If they are charged by a larger unit, there are not enough marines to
shield the artillery, therefore they are going to be very prone to
assaults. Then again, they are going to be behind lines, so that will
prevent some nastiness.

NAME: Khorne Armour (Cost: 241, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 4)
TYPE: Chaos Armour Detachment
COMMAND:
Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
4 Land Raiders
4 Khorne engines

TACTICS:
More of a flavour detatchment than anything. However, the engines
do a good job of deterring assaulters/firefighters and soaking hits,
whilst the land raiders are their usual selves. Good troop transporter.
Will be tougher with some CSM inside as part of the detachment. If fielded
with a bigger detachment it could get by unnoticed compared to the larger
more threatening squadron.

DOWNSIDES:
For a 'flavour' detachment, this can sure hit hard, the 8 anti tank is
always nice. There might be a bit of a problem with range mismatching, but
the detachment is mean enough to be a threat while borderline on being a
target. A big assault will level this detachment, as will artillery. It
may be a bit on the small side, but I can't think of too many downers for
it.

Next is another ideal 2000 pointer, so again I will critique the army as
a whole. This one is from Sean Smith, and is a combined Titan legion/ IG
force.

NAME: Supreme Commander (Cost: 84, Morale: 2, Half Strength: 2)
TYPE: Commander
COMMAND:
Imperial Guard Colonel with Primas Psyker (in a chimera)
BODY GUARD:
2 Rough Rider Squads

NAME: Armageddon (Cost: 200, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 4)
TYPE: Imperial Titan Legion Detachment
MAIN FORCE:
Adeptus Mechanicus Ordinatus Armed with - Plasma Annihilator

NAME: Mars (Cost: 200, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 4)
TYPE: Imperial Titan Legion Detachment
MAIN FORCE:
Adeptus Mechanicus Ordinatus Armed with - Sonic Disruptor

NAME: IG Infantry Detachment (Cost: 210, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 8)
TYPE: IG Detachment
COMMAND:
1 Detachment HQs (with captains)
MAIN FORCE:
3 Imperial Guard Squads (with 3 commissars)
SUPPORT:
9 Support Weapons

(There are three of the infantry det's listed.)

NAME: Imperial Guard Tank Detachment (Cost:97, Morale:2, Hlf, Strngth:3)
TYPE: IG Armour
COMMAND Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
6 Hellhound Flame Tanks

NAME: IG Artillery Detachment (Cost: 517, Morale: 11, Half Strength: 6)
TYPE: Artillery
COMMAND:
Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
3 Siege Artillery Units
6 Heavy Artillery Units
SUPPORT:
3 Hydra Flak Tanks

NAME: IG Rough Rider Squad (Cost: 152, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 4)
TYPE: IG Infantry
COMMAND:
Detachments HQ (with captain & a primaris psyker)
Detachments HQ (captain on a horse)
MAIN FORCE
6 Rough Rider Squad

NAME: Imperial Navy Interceptor Squadron
TYPE: Imperial Navy (Cost: 115, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 2)
COMMAND:
Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
3 Thunderbolts

TACTICS:
This army prefers open ground which will enable it to use its fire power
to maximum affect to reduce the enemy's strength dramatically before
getting into close combat. Generally the three infantry detachments will
form a line, with the Rough Rider and hellhound detachments in reserve.
I have found it best to keep the WEs near the infantry detachments so
they can provide support in close combat.

The infantry detachments should normally be in column, with the
commissars in the front, normal IG next and supportweapons last. This
way any hit of 4+ affects a commissars,who have a 50% chance of
surviving. If the enemy attacks you from your front you will have combat
value of 6. However if the enemy manages to lap round the flanks of the
infantry detachments your average combat value will drop to 1 or 2.

Strengths and weaknesses:

The army has excellent direct and indirect fire power. It also has
reasonable close combat ability, especially with WE support. Its main
weaknesses are mobility and vulnerability to air attack. The armies
superiorty in artillery should allow the infantry detachments to march
on turn 1 normally. The sonicdisrupter and artillery will reduce the
movement of enemy detachments. The Roughriders and hellhounds can be
used advance quickly and take objectives, especially if you are lucky
enough to win intaitive in the movement phase of turn 1 and march these
detachments. However, these detachments shouldn't be expected held
ground for more than 1 turn. Don't forget to select bunkers as
objectives, if possible, the deathray is great at taking them out. If
you expect enemy drop troops hold back the infantry detachment with
hellhounds, to protect your artillery.

DOWNSIDES:
Sean mentioned that this force is okay in CC especially with the War
Engine support, I have to disagree, Rough Riders are mediocre assault
troops, and the ordinatus are very fragile, while anything with armour
may be in dire jeapordy, the opponent can easily out maneuver and assault
anything in this force with relative ease. I know it is an Ideal force,
but 27 weapon platforms is ambitious. The artillery detachment is good,
but the infantry are too immobile for anything but a defensive role. Two
ordinatus goes against the background of these platforms. The 200 points
would be better spent on something tougher like a Warhound or a pair of
Super heavies. Maybe mechanizing some infantry would be better than all
shooty detachments. Droppods will annihilate this army as it stands.
The artillery is a definite threat. The thunderbolts are useless if noone
takes fliers (I have a friend who only has doomwings, and I never field
bombers, it's mean, it's cheesy, but I think flyers are overrated.)
Putting the hellhounds in with the Rough Riders, while decreasing their
tactical ability, will massively boost there assault and firefight
potential. Maybe even having 2x(RR captain, 3xRR, 3xHellhound) would be
better.

A chaos cultists coven from master of the dark arts, Scott Shupe, who
mentioned he had a shortage of marines. I think the shortage led to some
really interesting list. It was originally a 2000 point force for the
ideal armies thread, but I felt the detachments needed a little individual
attention.

NAME: Stolen Tanks 1 (Cost: 223, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 6)
TYPE: Cultists
COMMAND:
Coven + Demagogue + Magus In Chimera
MAIN FORCE:
5 Cultist stands
SUPPORT:
2 Chimeras
3 Leman Russes

TACTICS:
This is a nice well rounded unit. While it isn't great in combat, the
troops should be able to shield the tanks so they may fight another day.
The force is quite shooty too, at 45cm it has 12 fp, and at 30cm it has
18fp, enough to inflict 2 BMs on a detachment. Because it is relatively
expensive, it is expendable and not a threat ie, not a bit target.

NAME: Stolen Guns (Cost: 212, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 7)
TYPE: Chaos Cultists
COMMAND:
Coven + Demagogue + Magus
MAIN FORCE:
5 Beastmen Champ stands
SUPPORT:
5 Support Platforms
3 Hydras

TACTICS:
Nice all rounder this detachment. The beastmen are good for absorbing hits
and a CC strike, the hydras are good for both flak and close range
firepower. As usual Support platforms are excellent for taking out big
things that wander too close.

DOWNSIDES:
The detachment is very small and none of it's components are particularly
tough, protect it behind another detachment or else it will die.

NAME: Daemons of Khorne (Cost: 189, Morale:4, Half Strength: 6)
TYPE: Daemon pack
COMMAND:
Bloodthirster
MAIN FORCE:
10 Flesh Hounds

TACTICS:
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, if you do anything other than charge these guys
you are a fool. Their save and the cavalry status of the hounds, will make
them quite tough.

DOWNSIDES:
Daemons draw a lot of fire, that coupled with their ability in CC,
opponents are also going to avoid them wherever possible, all the time
piling on Blast markers. I find that the save can be a curse, if they
don't die, then the amount of blast markers accumulated will be larger.
All daemons are bad in firefights (enemy automatically gets +4)

NAME: Daemons of Tzeentch (Cost: 172, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 6)
TYPE: Daemon Pack
COMMAND:
Lord of Change
MAIN FORCE:
5 Flamers
5 Horrors

TACTICS:
Being very psychic this detachment is really good at supporting combats.
As before watch how you advance them, although it is likely the Khorne
daemons are going to attract more fire allowing these lads to get closer.

DOWNSIDES:
The Horrors slow the detachment down. See above for further criticism on
daemons.

NAME: Daemons That Like To Walk (Cost: 130, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 5)
TYPE: Daemon pack
COMMAND:
Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
5 Horrors
5 Bloodletters

TACTICS:
Although slow, this unit can really hit hard, the combination of psykers
and rampagers is quite lethal. Some will disagree with the background
premise of mixing two chaos powers.

DOWNSIDES:
Background fluff. Usual stuff about Daemons and rampagers.

NAME: Contagions (Cost: 295, Morale: 6, Half Strength: 3)
TYPE: Chaos Engine Detachment
COMMAND:
Detachment HQ
MAIN FORCE:
6 Contagions

TACTICS:
This is an excellent artillery detachment, I personally love disrupting
artillery, on overwatch you are going to average 5 or 6 blast markers per
turn, enough to paralyze any detachment.

DOWNSIDES:
This is a flyer/artillery target. Fire first, and guard it from assaults.
It will break easily if the enemy break through the front line. A few
Chaos Space Marines will make the detachment a lot tougher.

NAME: Tzeentch Flyers (Cost: 118, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 2)
TYPE: Chaos Flyer
MAIN FORCE:
3 Doomwings

TACTICS AND DOWNSIDES:
These are good, but very fragile interceptors. Not much else to be said
really.

NAME: Lord of Battle (Cost: 225, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 4)
TYPE: Chaos War Engine
MAIN FORCE:
Khorne Lord of Battles

TACTICS:
I Really like these units, they are like battle titans for the price of a
scout titan. Try not to use them so much as a titan, but instead treat it
as a super heavy tank. It has a relatively good armament, but is lacking
slighlty in the CC department. I think the best use for this detachment is
a result of it having no shields; big war engine, no shields = BIG TARGET.
It can be used to draw fire away from better units.

DOWNSIDES:
As I said, BIG TARGET, but this can work both ways. It has no shields
therefore it is prone to death ray shots, but for a smallish army
(1500-2000) it can act as a focal point of the enemies aggression. In a
larger game, more war engines are needed.

OVERALL TACTICS:
This army has a feel very similar to an ork force. There are a couple of
mobile mechanized detachments that can cover a lot of ground fast, and a
lot of walking or slow troops. I would not reccommend charging the fast
stuff much ahead of the main force, as it will draw fire, especially the
Khorne Daemons. When the troops are within charge range, use the knorne
daemons to draw fire away from the main force, they may be amazing in
combat, but they are even better sponges, their high toughness with
regeneration means they can take a lot of hits before going down. The army
has a very tactical feel to it, it should not be used as a fast attack
because the faster units will find themselves cut off and the force divided.

I think I will have a stab at this now. There are a couple of detachments
I have fielded that have really worked for me;
For the IG, I have different rules for command structure, I have:
                                CAPTAIN (37 points, hero)
                -------------------|---------------
                | | |
          Lieutenant (7pts) Lieut. (7pts.) Lieut. (7pts)
                | | |
             up to 3 squads ... ...

NAME: Titan guard (Cost: 472, Morale: 10, Half Strength: 19)
TYPE: IG infantry
COMMAND:
Captain with Primaris in Chimera
2 Lieutenant heroes in Chimeras
Rough Rider Lieutenant.
MAIN FORCE:
6 IG squads, 4 have commissars.
3 Rough Riders
SUPPORT:
2 Gorgon AVE
Hydra
3 Support weapons
3 Hellhounds
10 Sentinels

PLUS...

1 IMPERATOR TITAN (Cost: 900, Morale: 18, Half Strength: 12)

TACTICS
The two together are excellent for a large scale battle (4000+), the IG
detachment is fully mobile if the imperator is utilised, and should not be
advanced any faster than the titan. The massive amounts of infantry and
vehicles prevent the titan from being swarmed and overwhelmed, it's
biggest weakness. The inclusion of the hydra is for the 3 fp, but more
importantly, one flak unit seems to scare off targets to hit other
unprotected detachments (They never realise how fragile imperators can
be), the gorgons and hellhounds allow a massive close support value (17).
More than anything it seems to be a very large intimidating force that can
scare off anything. Advance the titan to a defensible moderately open are
with some terrain for the infantry, dig in and resist all... It may sound
vague, but it works.

DOWNSIDES:
Ironically this pairings downsides are also it's strength. It takes a lot
to break the two together, therefore they will deny opponents 28 victory
points, but if it is focused on, then it will eventually fall. It seems
most people will not ignore all other detachments to focus solely on
wrecking this before it does it's own share of damage. If these go down on
the first or second turn, then it is practically a guarenteed loss since
they are such an major component of the whole force.

NAME: Bogsuk's rangers (Cost: 453, Morale: 10, Half Strength: 11)
TYPE: Ork Warband.
COMMAND:
Bogsuk (Stompa)
Wierdboy Tower
MAIN FORCE:
7 Storm boyz
4 Nobz
SUPPORT:
5 Stompas
4 battlewagons

TACTICS:
This is a core detachment for a large ork force. The wagonz and storm boyz
are just an expendable shield for the stompas, once dug in and in
position, it will resist the mightiest if assaults with it's 79 assault
and massive firepower. The nobz are survivable and transported by the
wagons, the stormboyz are self mobile, the stompas shoul be kept in the
rear, protected.

DOWNSIDES:
It's big and clumsy, see all previous comments on like detachments. Also
in a small game, this could be too large a commitment to points.

++++END TRENSMISSION FINAL
++COMMENTS: I've had enough for now, this has taken too much time as is.
                More at a later date.
++++STOP