Re: [Epic] E40K Chaos Detachments

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:03:58 -0400

Stephen Sheldon wrote:

> After I posted to the list asking why noone played Chaos, I was sent this
> nice rather demonic army list from Mike Reed

> NAME: Khorne Armour (Cost: 241, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 4)
> TYPE: Chaos Armour Detachment
> COMMAND:
> Detachment HQ
> MAIN FORCE:
> 4 Land Raiders
> 4 Khorne engines

        As I mentioned when this was first posted, this detachment
is illegal. Marine armor & daemon engines can only be bought
together in CSM infantry detachments, as support. A legal version
would look something like this:

 NAME: Khorne Armour & Bikes (Cost: 321, Morale: 7, Half Strength: 8)
 TYPE: Chaos Marine Infantry Detachment
 COMMAND: Detachment HQ
 MAIN FORCE:
 8 Bike units
 SUPPORT:
 4 Land Raiders
 4 Khorne engines

Or you could replace the bikes with marines and have them ride
in the LRs. Conceptually that would be nice if the marines were
bezerkers, but the detachment would be overly expensive and the
marines would probably be a waste.

> And now for something completely different...
> A chaos cultists coven from master of the dark arts, Scott Shupe, who
> mentioned he had a shortage of marines.

        Yeah, only 30 stands... =( My real shortage is in Cultists,
actually - only 10 stands there.

> NAME: Stolen Tanks 1 (Cost: 223, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 6)
> TYPE: Cultists
> COMMAND:
> Coven + Demagogue + Magus In Chimera
> MAIN FORCE:
> 5 Cultist stands
> SUPPORT:
> 2 Chimeras
> 3 Leman Russes
>
> TACTICS:
> This is a nice well rounded unit. While it isn't great in combat, the
> troops should be able to shield the tanks so they may fight another day.
> The force is quite shooty too, at 45cm it has 12 fp, and at 30cm it has
> 18fp, enough to inflict 2 BMs on a detachment.

        Primary purpose is to shoot, as you've gathered, and to
be maneuverable at the same time (keep the grunts in their
transports and forget about them). The infantry are there only
because you need them to get the tanks. In the game where I used
2 of these detachments, I only unloaded the foolish weaklings
from their Chimeras once and it was a mistake (playing against
eldar, you can't really afford to be static). If you're planning
on just going on Overwatch anyway, drop the Chimeras and grab 2
more Russes.

> NAME: Stolen Guns (Cost: 212, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 7)
> TYPE: Chaos Cultists
> COMMAND:
> Coven + Demagogue + Magus
> MAIN FORCE:
> 5 Beastmen Champ stands
> SUPPORT:
> 5 Support Platforms
> 3 Hydras

> DOWNSIDES:
> The detachment is very small and none of it's components are particularly
> tough, protect it behind another detachment or else it will die.

        Well, it's purpose is to protect the arty. Against
slower armies this is all you really need to keep away the
tanks and flyers. Against, say, the Eldar, I also have the
foot-slogging daemons around to help out if things get up
close and personal.

> NAME: Daemons of Tzeentch (Cost: 172, Morale: 4, Half Strength: 6)
> TYPE: Daemon Pack
> COMMAND:
> Lord of Change
> MAIN FORCE:
> 5 Flamers
> 5 Horrors

> DOWNSIDES:
> The Horrors slow the detachment down.

        Model limitations. Ideally, this detachment would
be 1 LoC and 10 Flamers. Still, the added Horrors do help
out since you'll almost always get the psy bonus.

> NAME: Daemons That Like To Walk (Cost: 130, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 5)
> TYPE: Daemon pack
> COMMAND:
> Detachment HQ
> MAIN FORCE:
> 5 Horrors
> 5 Bloodletters
>
> TACTICS:
> Although slow, this unit can really hit hard, the combination of psykers
> and rampagers is quite lethal. Some will disagree with the background
> premise of mixing two chaos powers.

        Some people are foolish. =) If GW didn't want you
to do it, they wouldn't have written the list the way they
did. Besides, Tzeentch & Khorne are not enemies.

        The detachment is slow, but meant to be used to either
protect the back ranks or to clean up after the faster shock
troops. Given enough cover, it can also function as a decent
assault force against a static target (like infantry hunkered
down in cover).

> NAME: Contagions (Cost: 295, Morale: 6, Half Strength: 3)
> TYPE: Chaos Engine Detachment
> COMMAND:
> Detachment HQ
> MAIN FORCE:
> 6 Contagions

> DOWNSIDES:
> This is a flyer/artillery target. Fire first, and guard it from assaults.
> It will break easily if the enemy break through the front line. A few
> Chaos Space Marines will make the detachment a lot tougher.

        When I have the points, I add a few Chaos Squats to
the detachment to protect it.

> NAME: Tzeentch Flyers (Cost: 118, Morale: 3, Half Strength: 2)
> TYPE: Chaos Flyer
> MAIN FORCE:
> 3 Doomwings
>
> TACTICS AND DOWNSIDES:
> These are good, but very fragile interceptors. Not much else to be said
> really.

        3 is not enough. I shouldn't have even bothered buying
them. You need between 6-10 Doomwings for them to be effective.

> NAME: Lord of Battle (Cost: 225, Morale: 5, Half Strength: 4)
> TYPE: Chaos War Engine
> MAIN FORCE:
> Khorne Lord of Battles
>
> TACTICS:
> I Really like these units, they are like battle titans for the price of a
> scout titan. Try not to use them so much as a titan, but instead treat it
> as a super heavy tank. It has a relatively good armament, but is lacking
> slighlty in the CC department. I think the best use for this detachment is
> a result of it having no shields; big war engine, no shields = BIG TARGET.
> It can be used to draw fire away from better units.

        Yeah, they're not as durable as they used to be but
still good units. I think taking them alone is a mistake;
having 2 working in tandem makes them seem more frightening.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"How can I let this bring me back to my knees?" - Tool