Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 00:39:58 -0500

On 20 Feb 97 at 21:18, Michael the Liu wrote:

> >Also some have said that these attacks should not produce catastrophic
> >damage and the old rules express as much so I propose that the damage
> >roll be halved so at worst it will severly damage the leg ,but produce
> >no KO'es!
>
> While I've favoured everything making Titans stronger until now, and liked
> most of your post, I do not like this. I want strong Titans, but not
> virtually unkillable Titans. That halving the damage means that infantry
> will need sixes and fives to inflict any damage the Titan will notice. I
> support all of your ideas but this one.
>
> >NOTE: THE OLD AT RULES WERE MODIFIED TO FIT THE REALITY OF THE PRESENT
> >RULES SYSTEM(THE CONCEPTS OF SUPERFICIAL AND CRITICAL DAMAGE NO LONGER
> >EXSIST). I HAVE USED THESE FOR YEARS AND THE EFFECT IS THE SAME AS THE
> >OLD RULES.
>
> And in the old rules, despite Titans being very tough, which I liked, an
> army that wasn't primarily Titans _always_ lost, which I didn't like. A
> single Warhound detachment could just run up and down enemy vehicle and
> infantry lines and slaughter them all with complete ease. So this rules
> system of yours is playtested? What were the results?
>
> Mike the Liu

I would have to agree with Michael of the House Liu's comments about
the infantry system. Halving the damage roll seems a bit too harsh.
Could a negative modifier be applied instead (say a -1 or -2). Or, and
this could be interesting, have each stand roll 2d6 (or maybe 3d6) for damage and pick
the lowest result. This would provide the potential for an infantry
stand to bring down a mighty Titan (hey, it could happen!) but would
decrease the chances of such a thing happening. I've never tried this.
 It just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf