Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Perrin Haley <phaley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:55:22 -0800

>>Eldar Weapons
>
>>Heat Lance 100
>>Pulsar 300 this weapons has no drawbacks!
>>Tremor Cannon 175 ignores shields!
>>D-Cannon 250 *see coment below*
>>Lascannon Wing 150
>>Psycannon 150
>>Power Fist 100 this thing shoots!
>>Missile Launcher Wing 50 to stimulate use it has to be cheap
>>Hull 300 its weapons is what makes it expensive!
>>Hull for warlock Titan 400
>
>>Comment: I will try to bring back the old AT rules on this one, it was
>>truely fearsome as it destroyed anything without shields without save
>>and shield targets were imune. If caught without shield-ouch! Bye
>>Titan! I'll tone it down somewhat but it will be still pretty powerful
>>and thus the cost. I post the full rules later.
>
>I don't think I like your pricing on most of the Eldar Titan weapons. From
>your pricing scheme, a single phantom Titan armed with nothing except a
>pulsar already costs substantially more than a phantom does currently armed
>with 2 pulsars and 2 lascannon wings.

You are supposed to add up the weapon cost, then divide by two, then add
the body cost, and then round (up?) to the nearest 50, so a Phantom with
one Pulsar costs only 450 (300/2=150+300=450.) This is of course only if
we allow titans to mount less weapons than they are capable (which I think
is fine.) If you try out "Pulsar Cheese" (2 Pulsars + 2 Lascannon Wings)
you pay 750 (900/2=450+300=750) which is a more reasonable cost for this
powerful outfit.

>While that second phantom is a cheesy
>arrangement according to most people, that difference in prices is just
>incredible here.

If it ends up working out this way, it should stop being called cheese, as
you pay for everything you get, and therefore it is worth more VP's when it
blows. (You could, however, call it "unimaginative".)

>It also seems a little strange that the Lascannon wing
>costs more than 2 prism cannons, and the missile launcher wing costs the
>same as one.

First off, the Lascannon wing really only "costs" about 75 (150/2=75).
Secondly, it is priced the same as the Imperial Turbolaser, which has
identical stats, so I see no problem here. The missle launcher wing seems
perfectly priced, and if we allow two wings to combine barrages, even
better. While some would say this combining of barrages gives Eldar titans
a Multiple Rocket Launcher for 25 less than the Imperium, it is "evened
out" because it uses up two weapon slots.

>With prices at these rates I don't think I would ever take wing
>weapons. Hell, at these prices I don't think I would ever take Eldar
>Titans, and currently I never play a game without them. I mean c'mon, for
>the price I currently pay for a phantom titan, under this scheme I can only
>field the worst possible armed Titan there is for the Eldar: 2 missile wings
>and 2 power fists. What's up with that?

I don't think any explanation is needed here: see above argument.

>BTW, under current rules, the Warlock Titan is 150 points more than a phantom.

Aye, you are right here, but I think this has been accounted for. Here is
an example of what *I* would consider an average Warlock Titan:
Pulsar 300
Psy-Cannon 150
Lascannon Wing 150
Missle Wing 50
                ___
                650/2=325
Body Cost 400
                      ___
                      725 rounds up to 750, which seems right on the button.

>Good to see the list back up! Anyone know what happened?

Not here. One day, I just didn't get any mail (was really quite shocking
at first.)

>Mike the liu

        Perrin

"Some people say that I must be a horrible person, but that's not true.
I have the heart of a young boy -- in a jar on my desk."

  -- Stephen King, 3/8/90