Re: [Epic] Revisiting BM's and Morale

From: Aaron Day <akkala_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:46:28 -0600

Stephen Sheldon wrote:

> > You loose the morale value of you troops when 1/2 strengthed and AGAIN
> > if they are eliminated (plus the extra for the Eldar).
>
> This seems a little silly as a broken demoralized detachmet is not going
> to affect the entire army when it is blown away, for the exact same reason
> that land mines don't kill, they maim. Blowing away a det. can be a
> relief, as friendlies no longer have to see them fleeing in terror.

Well, BM's can't really be associated with maiming anything as it will
eventually go away. So it seems to me that it represents more of a minor
damage / disorganization thing, not something that would cause an army to give
up a fight.

> > Objectives cause morale loss as normal. (May this should be looked at to
> > make them more significant)
> > ------------
>
> They are too hard for what they give you, I rarely go for objectives.

Hmm, to me the objectives are absolutely crucial. If my army is sitting on a
couple of take and holds to where I'm gaining morale faster than my opponent,
that forces him to attack and allows me to sit on overwatch. WeeeeeeThe people
I play with don't use allot of disrupt causing units so my problem is that it
seems that either army hits bottom the turn before the final clash of our
armies. We've maneuvered around, shot each other up and just before the
glorious final desperate charge, one of us bails. Its just always been
anti-climactic

> Again, Make a mission where morale is not used, but instead you have an
> objective to accomplish, then tell me how you like the game. It makes a
> HUGE difference.

If I don't use army morale then the whole discussion is pointless. I'm talking
about those games that do.