RE: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: Steve Wik <bosco_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 15:31:22 -0700

Interestingly (or not) I prefer E40k AND agree with everything you said.
I think several E40k players have also already agreed that too much
fluff was removed (and how the E41k project helps put more of it back
in). The point was also raised that the E40k rule books explicitly tell
you to use the WH40K codexes for the fluff. Fluff solved.

If a ruleset is truly tuned correctly then there's never the possibility
of tuning an army to "perfection" because every army has strengths and
weaknesses, and hopefully it is tactics that will win the day. If
anything, I'd go so far as to claim that E40k seems better designed in
this respect. And, as far as playing the role of the on-the-table
commander, E40k makes even more sense because you have a broader role of
commanding detachments in overall strategies rather than commanding each
model individually to move and shoot essentially on it's own at specific
targets, (no commander in history has enjoyed that level of control of
his troops!) with greater clusters of models only being useful in that
more individual shots get taken making it more likely that a specific
target model will "die".

Anyway, maybe I'm incorrect, but I haven't gotten the impression that
anyone likes E40k specifically because there's less fluff or thinks that
it's better than SM/TL because of it. It's what has been stated before,
a matter of taste. I can see why people would like both games, they're
both pretty cool. (it took me a hard while to decide which ruleset I
liked best) I chose the one that delivered the play experience that i
wanted. You chose yours for the same reason. Your version had it's
life, now it's my turn. Eventually my version will be made obsolete by
a new edition (and I'll probably be upset). But clearly some people do
like the new version(did SM/TL ever win any awards or appear on top five
lists or anything? Just wondering). If you don't like it then you're
already "boycotting" it by virtue of not playing it. I will continue to
support it. But it's obvious that GW did not "ruin" SM/TL, they erected
a brand new game in it's place that happens to be at the same scale...

Steve (the other)