Re: [Epic] Warhammer 40K

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:53:05 -0600

Cornelius Perkins wrote:

> Thane Morgan wrote:
>
> > WH40k seems to be a "shoot-out at the OK Corrale" game. Most players line up
> > their armies, then one side shoots, then the other, then the other, then the
> > other, until turn 4 where everyone rushes to achieve their "mission". It has
> > seemed really stupid the 4 times I've played.
>
> You're playing against the wrong people, and without enough terrain. This kindof
> static stand-and-shoot battle is the least fun kind of game.

They use lots of terrain. Doesn't matter. If you put too much terrain out, you can't
manuever in the games 4 turns to do anything at all, exept pray your mission is worth
more VP than your opponents.

> > One of them ended with the chaos
> > player winning because he rushed his chaos marines to a certain point in the
> > center of the table on the last move of the game, gaining extra vp. Never mind
> > that this point was 3 inches in front of 1 leman russ and 12 inches from a
> > second leman russ, out in the open. Because of the turn order, the Russ's never
> > got to fire at the marines.
>
> And this is different from the objectives in Epic/Epic40K in that....?

Did you read the whole message, or just excerpt enough to complain about? The
difference is that you can defend an objective in epic. A player cannont move onto an
objective on the last turn of game without his opponent having a chance to respond.
An objective in E40K is worthless compared to the value of the unit on it; a 40K
mission is worth several units.

> Objectives at least force some semblance of tactical behaviors on players,
> other than the "shootout" scenario you complain about.

The kind of tactics 40K "missions" encourage: hide out of sight until the last move
of the game then rush to achieve the mission. I've seen it in most of the games I've
played.

I see your a 40K fan. Fine. It's an OK game, if there isn't anything better to do.
Don't get riled when people point out it's flaws to people who want to know what the
game is about.

It would likely be a better systems played on an 8X8 table for many turns.
Unfortunately, the points for the units were based on a four turn game, and some
conversion would likely be needed for some units.

The CC system could use some help as well.

Thane