Re: [Epic] Tyranids : good or evil?

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:02:29 -0700 (PDT)

> > They are following a natural instinct, the hive mind is only
> > the attack, not controlling its instincts.
>
> And you know this how? :-)
>
> > I am working off a principle that anything that defies the natural
> > of things is bad, ie Humans are bad, whereas an animal doing only what
> > needed to survive is good. It is the only real way of non-subjectively
> > quantifying good/evil.
>
> No, the animal is neutral, pure neutral pure and simple. You could
> argue that the Humans were similarly constructed with instincts of
> conquest and military expansion that the Emperor is only coordination.
> When you go against instincts to help someone else, that's good. Eldar
> do this, Squats and Humans too at times. Tyranids never do, Orks might
> do it by accident, Chaos would banish itself if it ever did this for
> anything but enlightened self interest and furthering a plan of
> destruction.

This neutrality makes it more 'good' than other races.

> Nah, in the world GW set up - EVERYONE is out for reproduction and
> survival on a galactic scale. The differences in method and ultimate
> goal are the subtleties...

The difference is we are not expanding technologically. One could start
arguing about bio-constructs though. Good/Evil is subjective to the last I
guess.

Steve

When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...