Re: [Epic] Tyranids : good or evil?

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 19:58:47 -0400

> > I dunno... I always kind of pictured the 'nids as being more like
> > locusts. They just kind of move in a straight line devouring anything
> > they happen to run across. I think the "invasion map" in the 'nid
> > codex kind of bears this out, and none of the fluff makes it sound
> > like they're carrying out elaborate feints or anything particularly
> > tactical. They just kind of show up and swarm all over anything that
> > moves until there's nothing left. Remember too that there's no
> > evidence that the hive mind has any goals other than survival and
> > reproduction. I'm sure the 'nids don't care much specifically about
> > wiping out the empire. It's just a food/dna source like anything
> > else.
> >
> > I'm not sure how genestaler patriarchs would fit into this theory,
> > however.

I think it would be safer to think of 'nids as either parasites or bacteria,
which feed of a host, in this case, biological life. The problem with the
'nids is that if they do not exist in an infinite universe their terrible
success will cause their demise. It is not good evolution to utterly destroy
the host, the most successful bacteria and parasites find a way to live off
their hosts. Take for example the bacteria that live in our stomach, we
supply them with food, and they help us digest stuff, it is a symbotic
relationship.

Before we can define what is good, and what is evil, we have to define good
and evil itself. I think if the 'nids cannot survive without expanding and
comitting genocide, then they are good, or at least as good as a survival
instinct can be. For example the lion, who will on average only spend 2
years with a pride. Since lioness are not in season when they have cubs, and
the male lion cannot wait to pass on his genes until the cubs are older,
which would take a year, he commits infanticide, and kills all the young
cubs. It isn't evil, it is survival.

If the 'nids can survive without expanding, then they are being greedy,
which is a sin (Gluttony) and thus can be considered evil.

Tyler