Re: [Epic] Detailed Daemon Engines / & other Musings.

From: Richard Desnoyers <rdesnoye_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 20:45:39 -0600

Keeping track of all these great new ideas is getting more complicated, but
it's definately worthwhile.
        [snip, cut, paste, etc.]
At 05:52 PM 5/15/98 -0700, you wrote:

>> Daemon Engines of Slaanesh
>> > The old Knight 'directional power field' was the shield that,
>> >if an attack passed through it, the save mod of the attack was ignored.
>> >The old Galmour just made attacks on the target at -1 to hit, and it
>> >was not effective against template weapons (kinda eldar-ish, actually,
>> >which is fairly appropriate for Slaanesh). A bit of a difference
>> >there - harder to hit as opposed to more durable. Still, I suppose
>> >that Save could cover either case.

> I suppose that this is more of flavour issue for me here then anything
> else. These are after all Daemon engines under the sway of Slaanesh who
> bestows (or at least used to) special gifts and powers upon his minions.
> It looked like I hit the Hell-______, but did I really? With an AR of 5 I
> don't expect them to hold up for very long anyway, unless you're getting
> really lucky with the die rolls, but then again such are the forces of
> Chaos at work on the battlefield. For me anyway, the WH40K universe
> wouldn't be nearly as interesting if hadn't been built upon this blend of
> swords & sorcery with hi-tech sci-fi. The more I go through these proposed
> upgrades/conversions, the more I'm coming to realize how much of this
> element was removed from the new rule system :(

>> This agrees with the way I would see the aura working in the new rules.
>> I think save suits them fine.

>> What about the point values I gave them?
                        [Re: from an earlier posting.]
I am not so keen on the rules for the slaanesh daemon engines. These are
okay as abstract rules but I think they could also use more individual
stats. The rules in epic 40K do not represent the old stats for the
slaanesh daemon engines. The new rules don't take into account the glamour
of slaanesh or the fact that they also had really good armour in the old
rules (2+). I think the two slaanesh hell knights could be simular to the
epic 40K rules for the imperial knights.

Troop type Move FP rge assult armour special cost
Hell-strider 20 2 30 0 4+ save ~20
Hell-scourge 25 3 30 2 5+ save ~29
Hell-Knight 25 AT 30 2 5+ save,
                                                                                inflitrate ~29
I reduced thier range as they only had 50cm in space marine.
I still think that their Range should remain at 45cm, making them a bit
more of a flexible unit. I'm not sure about the cost of the H-strider.

Other thoughts & ideas:

>That is true for all greater daemons, primachs (now daemon princes, where
>are Magnus, I need that death ray),

On this note:
I recall seeing some rules for special E40K IG & SM characters somewhere (I
can't recall the website at the moment). There is no reason that we
couldn't come up with some for Chaos. These would be miniature specific.
I haven't really had much of a chance to think about how you would price
them out. Maybe they could be twice the usual cost of a normal Daemon
Prince Supreme Commander (from 45 > 90 pt./ maybe this is a bit much), or
if it is possible just add the cost of their unique ability (such as the
Deathray of Magnus).

Angron (Khorne): Once per turn (Assault or CC phase), he may emite a "Roar"
which inspires "fear" and causes all units within 15cm to take an immediate
leadership test. If they fail, they must make an immediate retreat move of
up to 20cm. Or, if a unit fails the leadership test it receives an
additional 1 or 2 BM's on a die roll to represent the effects of his roar.

Fulgrim (Slaanesh): "Enticement" (Assult or CC phase) Once per turn he may
try to gain control of all enemy units with 10cm. These units must pass a
leadership test or fall under his sway (that is to say, fight for him) for
the rest of the turn).

Magnus the Red (Tzeentch): "Beam of Power." May be used once per turn.
Treat as a normal E40K Deathray.

Mortarion (Nurgle): "Plague Wind." May be used once per turn. Range 15 cm.
One target is first selected. If the unit rolls lower then its armour
value it is not destroyed. If it rolls higher then its armour value it is
destroyed and another target within 15cm is selected. Repeat this process
until a unit is not destroyed (i.e. makes a roll lower then its armour
value), or there are no more targets available with 15cm of Mortarion.

What do you think?

>and the plague tower and lord of
>battles. Give them save and a huge point value. My estimate would be ~330
>for plague tower (I think it would be equal to a leviathon (8DC, 4 void
>shields and 6+ armour vs 8DC, save, and 5+ armour) the weapons are close
>to equal. The lord of battle would cost a hell of a lot. Probably the
>best comparison would be with the dominatrix. (Same move and armour. 10DC
>vs 8DC, the dominatrix is a psyker, khorne hates psykers. The lord of
>battle is more shooty (not by much, you could even argue that they are the
>same), and it has choice. The major difference is the psyker, it is also
>the supreme commander (better than normal also) and it has the tyranid
>special rules of being a syapse creature. Dominatrix cost 490. I would
>say the lord of battle would cost ~400 to 450. I say 425. This looks to
>be close to doubling the price.
>What do you guys think?

Interesting, but would a LoB really jump up that much in price with only
the addition of a "Save" (or does this also include a Command ability) if
I'm understanding this correctly? The "Save" seem to suit it quite well,
but I'm not sure that I would want to make it into a Commander unit. I
want the LoB out fighting and not have to give it over to this concern.

>> > One idea I was toying with was giving a 4+ 'daemonic aura'
>> >save to the LoB and Plague Tower, to represent the chaos-card-
>> >sacrifice thing from SM/TL - this would likely result in a large
>> >point-cost increase though, and would take some playtesting to get
>> >right.

Great flavour rule idea, "Daemonic Aura."

Daemons:
Fleshhounds of Khorne: (WD 148) "Khorne has a particular hatred of magic
and Fleshhounds have special magical collars which ward off its effects.
This means that [they] are immume to [all] psychic attacks . . . "
Flavour rule proposal: Units engaged in CC with Fleshhouds do not receieve
the +1 psyker bonus when determining the results.

Everything else (such as: Cloud of Flies, Regeneration, Soporific musk,
Euphoric ecstacy) appear to be covered under the abilities of Save & Pysker.

Richard