[Epic] RE: [Epic] Re: �Epic� Air Power? Take it or leave it!

From: Jonathan Westmoreland <JonW_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:04:18 -0600

Aaron Day wrote:

> It seems to me (in light of E40K and Gorkamorka) that GW is moving
> away
> from the concept of Ork clans. I for one is glad as that always seemed
> kind of silly (even for orks). I mean, why would totally different
> cultures exist universally when they live and fight together?

I feel that the Ork clans really add to the character of the whole
Ork race. I'm a biologists, and even though this is a sci-fi game,
I can apply what I learned in college to the Orks. IMHO, there are
2 reasons why Orks haven't died out as a race.

1. Orks are numerous. Very numerous. Look at the size of
Ork armies in Epic, 40k, and Fantasy. A large population requires
a large environment to live in. So, Orks are constantly needing more
and more space. They travel in Space Hulks, colonize planets, and
overrun Imperial/Chaos/whatever habitations (towns, outposts, etc.)
in order to meet these needs. Of course, none of this is planned,
since no Ork in his right mind would think about population
dynamics. :) "It jus kinda happenz. Wez Orkz needz lotza ruum
ta fight."

2. Orks love to fight. No matter how intense the rivalry between
2 clans, when an Ork Warboss cries "Waaaaghhh", whether it
be against a non-Ork foe or anything else, you can be assured
that the rest of the Orks from all the clans will join in. Orks may
not get along, but they hate humans and eldar even more than they
hate other Orks. So, Orks will drop everything and fight when they
see "da 'oomiez".

Take reason #1, add #2, and this is why Orks continue to exist.
Large numbers means that they are constantly expanding and
travelling (Space Hulks filled with Orks), and their encounters
with other races from moving and travelling leads to more combat,
which diverts them from fighting each other. So, in the end, all
of this keeps Orks from becoming extinct.

Remove the clans, and Orks then become a race that works
together, lives together, and doesn't fight amongst themselves
to the degree that the Orks we know do. No way. That would
change Orks into Humans, and "DAT AIN'T NEVUR GUNNA
HAPPEN, YA STOOPID GIT!"

Jonathan Westmoreland
Ork behavior. The true test of applying your Biology degree.