RE: [Epic] What is acceptable.

From: Jonathan Westmoreland <JonW_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 11:10:37 -0600

> no. not even. forget about it. moderation can be much worse than too
> much
> freeform debate.

True. But as in everything, there is a balance. There can be too
little as well.

> > Second, having some sort of bounds to the charter (and some form of
> enforcement) is
> > probably a good thing. I'm also on the 40k list, which has strict
> codes, and a set of
> > "don't talk about that here" topics, and it is in general, a good
> thing. The limits keep
> > the discussion much more fruitful than it would otherwise be. If
> anyone not on the
> > 40k list would like to see the rules, I'll ask the 40k list
> moderators if they mind if I
> > make them available here.
> >

> having been on both of the 40k lists,(one moderated,one not)and the
> usenet
> group, I see no need for that here. there are no problems that a good
> killfile can't solve. I don't like others choosing my killfile for me.
> Besides, somedays I like bitching about what I think GW is doing
> wrong.
> Somedays I like reading the off topic music/dance posts. Other days I
> don't. I want to be the judge of what I find good to read.

I can see both Corneilus' and mike's points of view on this. Moderation
is a good thing, but it can be bad as well. For an example, IMHO the
main 40k list is way too moderated right now, and only one rule out of
many is enforced (The Inclusions rule. The list admins even agreed with
me that they are not doing their job in monitoring the other rules). I
am
on a Chaos list that is not moderated one bit, and you see many, many
useless irrelevant postings quite frequently. That list has devolved
into
something that has very little to do with Chaos. The usenet group I
despise, because there are so many useless posts on there that I get
frustrated just trying to filter out what I don't care to read.

My personal view on this subject is that we do need moderation, but
not a police force. This posting and the ones in the past few days
about what's relevant to the list and what's not have absolutely nothing
to do with Epic. And, this list is about Epic, not what's relevant to
the
Epic list. That's redundant and circulatory.

The Space Marine mailing list is a forum for discussing any material
related to Games Workshop's table-top game "Space Marine". This could
be, for example; opinions, rule questions, new supplement etc.

This is the description of the list that all of us received when we
subscribed.
Read it. Live by it. Discuss Epic. If you want to discuss what's
relevant
to the list, and if we should have regulations for the list, contact the
owner
of the list. The email address for him is in that same message we
received
when we subscribed, and if he thinks that we should decide on the rules
thing, then he will let us know. Otherwise, go start your own list. I
can
give you a few programs and services who will do it for free.

Jonathan Westmoreland
Pure Chaos is its own undoing, as is Pure Law. But Chaos has cooler
miniatures.