Re: [Epic] Genestealer Cults in E41K

From: mlooney - IOnet <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:40:38 -0500

Aaron Day wrote:

> DeconSolo wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 98-05-26 18:01:06 EDT, you write:
> >
> > << No, GS "cultist" are driven by an insane desire to protect their "brood"
> > (hence the name brood brother) like Gabriel protecting Hope. This has
> > nothing to do with the insane desire for power which is what draws
> > people to the worship of chaos. >>
> > Actually this doesn't contradict what I said. When the GS cults are found
> > out, they retreat, to protect the "brood." Now once in the shadows of the
> > underhive, they are accepted as "Brother outcasts" by the Chaos cultists.
> > That and it gives the GS brood another level of defence. Never said that
> > Chaos cultists were smart.....
>
> I'm not saying that they don't associate, what I am saying is that they
> shouldn't be in the same detachment. Genestealers and demons wouldn't be
> that close that they would attack/break together.

Again, depends on which fluff you are basing your data on. One of the
basis for "detachments" in Epic 40,000 is that it is a normal WH40K
"Army". There for any thing that is in a WH40K army list should, in
theory, have a Epic/E41K detachment type. The first WD article/Army
list for Gene stealer cults has them with Chaos.

After GW decided that 'Nids and Stealer were the same "race", they had
to change modify this. I can see your point if all of your exposure to
Tyranids and Chaos are post "Hive War", which is where Gene stealers got
the shaft...

 Given that some people were doing 'Stealer cults BEFORE 'Dex 'Nids came
out they had to include the "allies" option or there would be yelling
(not that that every really stopped them before [see squats]). To add
to the mixed army list problem, 'Dex Chaos came out AFTER the Bugs
book. This means that for a while the "Chaos Allies" of the stealers
was from the "black codex", which is rather different than the 1996
"Codex Chaos".