Re: [Epic] Super-Heavy Tanx

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:24:51 -0600

Colen McAlister wrote:

> Do super-heavy sized tanks actually exist?
>
> --
> Colen 'Not Colin' McAlister <mailto:brother_morgan_at_...>
> Thought for the day: <http://surf.to/colen/>
> If your mum got any fatter, they'll give her her own postcode.

  Define "super heavy". Tigers were certainly "super heavy" for their time.
The French had a 68 ton tank at the beginning of WWII that carried a crew of
13 and had a second smaller turret in the back. At the time, most tanks were
6 tons to 15 tons, with crews of 3 -5. The tank proved to be useless in
non-trench warfare, as it was too slow to get where it needed to be. I don't
think they even bothered to fuel it up during the invasion. Tigers weighed
56 tons at the end of the war, shermans 34 tons. I think modern Abrams max
out at 70 tons, but I can't quit remember any more.

Thane