[Epic] Magnus the Red in E40K v1.0

From: Richard Desnoyers <rdesnoye_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 00:13:58 -0600

Another quiet weekend has given me an oppertunity to work on some ideas
that I've been toying with for some time now. After viewing the pictures
of the new Chaos Rhino and Terminators printed in WD 223 I'm interested to
see the rest of the miniatures. Of the new miniatures, I'm really curious
to see what the Daemon Princes will look like. I suspect that much like
the new Avatar, they too will be smaller in size in comparison to the older
ones. Anyone who played a Chaos army in SM/TL may have some of the old
miniatures and they needn't lay dormant. While I have never played SM/TL
myself, I have been able to gather a collection of the old Chaos
miniatures, including the traitor legion Primarchs. After reading through
some of the SM rules, old WD's, and having a look at the NetEpic rules I
felt that "Magnus the Red" could once again sally forth from the "Eye of
Terror" to fight another day. He, along with the other three traitor
Primarchs, seem to have all but disappeared in the newest incarnation of
Epic. Resurrecting Magnus was easy enough I believe, but the other
Primarchs will take a little more thought as how to implement their unique
abilities, as well as figuring what their point value would be.

====
Daemon Prince Supreme Commander Special Character:

        Magnus the Red - Primarch of The Thousand Sons {version 1.0)

If you are launching a Black Crusade using some of Tzeentch's minions, and
are in need of a "Supreme Commander" to lead your Chaos Horde to
victory(!), you may wish to consider using Magnus the Red. Magnus is the
Primarch of the traitor Space Marine legion "The Thousand Sons." He is
highly favoured by the mighty Chaos God Tzeentch, the greatest sorceror of
the four Chaos Powers. As a great sorceror himself, Magnus ranks second
only to Tzeentch. Over the centuries the power of the warp, combined with
the gifts bestowed upon him by Tzeentch, Magnus has become so corrupted and
mutated that he is no longer recognizable as the (super) human Space Marine
that he once was. One of the most remarkable of these changes has been the
growth of huge feathered wings which allow him to skim swiftly across the
battlefield raining down death and destruction upon all who would oppose
him. Another, and the most terrifying of his changes, is that of his
cyclopean eye which glows with a reddish hellfire. Through this eye, Magus
is able to summon and focus the raw power of Chaos to unleash his
devestating "Beam of Power." The "Beam of Power" is so lethal that it has
the capability to destroy even the most powerful of War Engines found on
the battlefields of the 41st millenium.
Magnus the Red - Character Summary:
Speed: 15cm
Range: n/a (*100cm)
Firepower: 0 (*1)
Assault: 6
Armour: 6+
Special: - Save
                - Psyker
                - Skimmer
                - Beam of Power (which equals a *Death Ray)
Magnus the Red - Point Value Breakdown:
Daemon Prince: 45 pts.
Abilities: Psyker +10 pts.
                Skimmer +03 pts.
                Beam of Power +22 pts.

                Total Cost: 80 points
Notes: *Death Ray: (standard E40K rules apply)
- Always roll one dice, needing 2+ to hit.
- Hits on war engines automatically cause critical damage.

Magnus the Red may only fire his "Beam of Power" once per turn, but the
player may choose to fire it during the Vehicles and Infanty "Shooting
Phase," or during the War Engines "Shooting Phase." If the "Beam of Power"
is used to support an Assault or Fire Fight it counts as having a Firepower
value equal to 1.

All other rules pertaining to a Chaos "Supreme Commander" are as laid out
on page 93 of the Epic 40,000 Armies Book.

Final Comment (for the moment):
In keeping with the spirit of this special charater, Magnus should only be
fielded if you plan to have at least one detachment (or more) of Thousand
Sons Chaos Space Marines present on the battle field (his personel
bodygaurd does not count in this respect). Likewise, Magnus would never be
the "Supreme Commander" of an otherwise competely Khorne, Slaanesh or
Nurgle army. Let your common sense and familiarity with the background of
the 40K universe be your guide here.
====

Comments, Suggestions, & Constructive Criticism, as always, are solicited.

Richard