[Epic] Painting Rusty Lemons

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 17:56:30 -0500

>> I'm looking forward to painting IG tanks, but I'll continue with my usual
>> plan of not doing the detail myself, but letting the wash detail stuff for
>> me. So far it has been a good compromise for time and effect.
>>
> Right now, I have 6 Leman Russ with the full camo painted (Dark grey and
> Dark Green) I have only just started the metallics on the tracks and some
> of the weapons. They look really cool with just the camo...
>
> Steve

I know what Steve means. Sometimes, after I get the basic scheme done,
I'm a bit reluctant to take the chance of messing things up with the
details. Still, I press on....

I've got twelve Leman Russ done. What I did was use a base coat of
Poly S Jungle green. This is a very nice, "military" looking color.
Then, I did the diagonal stripe thing from AOI with Chaos Black. Wash
with a mixture of Jungle Green and Shadow Black ink. As these two
aren't completely compatible you'll need to keep stirring between
applications.

One hint. I don't know how everyone else does their treads, but I tend
to paint them entirely black and then drybrush on the BG Metal. If you
do this, apply the wash *after* you do the drybrushing. The act of
drybrushing can leave you with some fine speckling on your tank even
if you are very careful. The wash will mask this as well as give you
the shading you are looking for.

The overall result was pretty good. In one game we had another friend
who dropped by and was watching. He jumped in surprise when I moved
my tanks and said, "Oh, from over here I glanced over those things and
thought they were bushes!" Pretty cool I thought. Of course, the same
friend thinks I ruined the whole effect when I put the three-stripe
company markings on the front quarterpanels. I thought it looked good.
He agreed, but thought it made them look less "military."

(Oh, and I did use Snakebite Leather on the two tanks with camo netting,
and some old style IG Atry Spotters in the open hatches of the command
tanks.)

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html

Mirrored by J. Michael Looney at:
     http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/allen-mirror/default.html