Re: [Epic] Angron, Fulgrim, Mortarion in E40K v0.0

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:13:15 -0400

Richard Desnoyers wrote:

> Angron - Primarch of The World Eaters [Khorne]
> Abilities: Skimmer, Rampage
> Unique Ability: "Fearsome Roar"
>
> Angron may emit his fearsome roar once per game turn, at "any" time during
> play.

        Personally, I dislike the "any time" thing - it just adds more
exceptions to the basic turn sequence. Considering the short range of
the Roar, a way to shoehorn it into the normal turn sequence would be
to say that it happens at the beginning of the Chaos player's Assault
phase - with a 15cm range, this would make it effective against enemy
units within CC support & firefight range. That's probably the only
time it would get used anyway.

> This means that it is permissable to interrupt your opponent while
> s/he is moving, shooting, assaulting [insulting? ;)] you, or enaging you in
> a firefight. However, I think that it would only be fair to play this
> ability before any dice have been rolled for combat resolution. The
> fearsome roar inspires fear (naturally) in "all" (which may include your
> own troops) detachments within 15 cm of Angron, and they must make an
> immediate leadership test. Detachments that fail the leadership test become
> broken and must make an immediate retreat move as per E40K rules.
>
> As an alternative (which may be easier to price): Any detachment which
> fails its leadership test because of his fearsome roar would have D3 Blast
> Markers placed upon it to represent the fear, panic, confusion, etc.,
> caused by this daemonic sound.

        Like the D3 BMs better. Breaking every detachment around
ol' Angy might be a bit much, especially since detachments in E40k
are generally larger than SM detachments. Also the Daemon Princes
move faster (and have more fast movement options) than they did in
SM/TL.

> Notes:
> What would you charge for this unique ability?

        Hey, they're you're rules - you figure it out. =)

> What is the cost of a SHW with the ability to "Disrupt" (i.e. place a BM on
> a target)?

        Hard to say. If you go by Alan's point formula, Contagions
pay about 2 pts per 15cm of range.

> Fulgrim Primarch of The Emperors Children [Slaanesh]
> Abilities: Skimmer, Psyker
> Unique Ability: "Soporific Musk"
>
> Fulgrim may try to entice all enemy detachments within 10cm of him at "any"
> time during the movement phase.

        Anyone's movement phase? Or just the Chaos player's?

> (It may only be tried on any one
> detachment once in a given turn). These detachments must take a leadership
> test with a -2 penalty on the dice roll [I hear "Soporific Musk" is quite
> alluring ;)]. Any detachment that fails the leadership test is controlled
> by the Chaos player until the end of the turn. This means that the Chaos
> player may move, shoot, assault & engage in close combat with this
> detachment(s) as if they were his/her own until the end of the turn.

        Whole detachments is pretty strong. I like the idea
(Thane's?) of grabbing units within the radius better.

> Can you imagine (if you could get close enough to do this that is) gaining
> contol of your opponents Warlord, or Mega-Gargant for a turn? Yikes!

        I guess this is possible, but rather unlikely given that
those sorts of platforms are generally armed with DR or AT weapons
(or are surrounded by other units with those capabilities), that
can pick out the Primarch and make short work of him/it. If not,
well then whose fault is that? Back in SM/TL active void/power
shields would give the titan/gargant a 4+ save against these kinds
of psy powers, but that just may be added complexity here.

> Mortarion Primarch of The Death Guard [Nurgle]
> Abilities: Skimmer, Psyker
> Unique Ability: "Plague Wind"
>
> Mortarion's greatest sorcerey is the "Plague Wind" spell. Once per turn in
> the Shooting Phase, select one enemy unit within 15 cm of Mortarion. Roll
> one die, trying to beat its armour value (1=automatic miss/6=automatic hit,
> unless there is a "Save" to be rolled for). If the die roll beats the
> target units' armour value it is destroyed. (If the taget unit has a "Save"
> you may roll for this.) If the first target is destroyed by the "Plague
> Wind" another unit within 15 cm of the destroyed unit may be selected.
> Repeat the process, rolling to beat its armour value. Continue on like
> this until a target unit fails to be destroyed, or there are no more
> eligible targets within 15 cm of the last destroyed unit.

        Is this how the Plague Wind fate card works? I don't
remember. I guess this isn't too bad, considering even guardsmen
have a decent chance of saving (whereas in SM/TL this power could
chew through infantry like nothing else).

> Notes:
> I can see very easily how this would work against any targets without any
> type of shields and a DC of only 1. Shields and higher DC pose a problem.

        In SM/TL shields would give the 4+ save against the power.
For targets with DC, I'd say either do 1 pt of damage (checking for
crits as usual) and if the target is not destroyed, stop. Thus
going after a WE is a gamble - it's a juicy target, but going after
it likely means that you won't be able to hit anything else.

Scott
shupes_at_...
"On a trip to Cirrus Minor..."