[Epic] Angron, Fulgrim, Mortarion in E40K v0.0

From: Richard Desnoyers <rdesnoye_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 20:24:00 -0600

At 09:23 PM 6/2/98 -0400, Scott Shupe (shupes_at_...) wrote:

>Richard Desnoyers wrote:
>>
>> Magnus the Red, Chaos Supreme Commander, version 1.1
>>
>> Character Summary:
>> Speed: 15cm
>> Range: n/a (*45cm)
>> Firepower: 0 (*1)
>> Assault: 6
>> Armour: 6+
>> Special: Save, Psyker, Skimmer,
>> *Beam of Power (='s a DR, use standard E40K rules)
>> Point Value Breakdown:
>> Daemon Prince: 45 pts.
>> Abilities:
>> - Psyker +10 pts.
>> - Skimmer +03 pts.
>> - Beam of Power +33 pts.
>>
>> Total Cost: 91 points
>
> Looks good. Much more reasonable. Care to take
>a crack at the other Primarchs? (which aren't as easy
>to convert)

Yes, I would like to take a crack at the other Primarchs. I've already
been thinking about trying to do similar conversions for Angron, Fulgrim,
and Mortarion. Magus was clearly the easist to start with. In regards to
the other three I believe that each of their "unique" abilities could be
translated into E40K terms without adding substantially to the complexity
level of the rules, or affecting game pace. The only real problem (and a
big one it is!) is trying to determine what their "unique" ability should
cost. Each of these abilities is very different from the other, and can
potentially be very devestating to your opponent if the dice rolls are
going your way.
But, nobody said war was fair . . .

Angron - Primarch of The World Eaters [Khorne]
Abilities: Skimmer, Rampage
Unique Ability: "Fearsome Roar"

Angron may emit his fearsome roar once per game turn, at "any" time during
play. This means that it is permissable to interrupt your opponent while
s/he is moving, shooting, assaulting [insulting? ;)] you, or enaging you in
a firefight. However, I think that it would only be fair to play this
ability before any dice have been rolled for combat resolution. The
fearsome roar inspires fear (naturally) in "all" (which may include your
own troops) detachments within 15 cm of Angron, and they must make an
immediate leadership test. Detachments that fail the leadership test become
broken and must make an immediate retreat move as per E40K rules.

As an alternative (which may be easier to price): Any detachment which
fails its leadership test because of his fearsome roar would have D3 Blast
Markers placed upon it to represent the fear, panic, confusion, etc.,
caused by this daemonic sound.
Roll seperately for each detachment.

Notes:
What would you charge for this unique ability?
What is the cost of a SHW with the ability to "Disrupt" (i.e. place a BM on
a target)?
This may (or may not) help in coming up with an aggreeable point value.
Fulgrim Primarch of The Emperors Children [Slaanesh]
Abilities: Skimmer, Psyker
Unique Ability: "Soporific Musk"

Fulgrim may try to entice all enemy detachments within 10cm of him at "any"
time during the movement phase. (It may only be tried on any one
detachment once in a given turn). These detachments must take a leadership
test with a -2 penalty on the dice roll [I hear "Soporific Musk" is quite
alluring ;)]. Any detachment that fails the leadership test is controlled
by the Chaos player until the end of the turn. This means that the Chaos
player may move, shoot, assault & engage in close combat with this
detachment(s) as if they were his/her own until the end of the turn.

Notes:
Easy enough to incorporate, but again difficult to price.
What is this worth?
Is a -2 penalty on the die roll too much? A -1 penalty may be more
reasonable.
Can you imagine (if you could get close enough to do this that is) gaining
contol of your opponents Warlord, or Mega-Gargant for a turn? Yikes!
Mortarion Primarch of The Death Guard [Nurgle]
Abilities: Skimmer, Psyker
Unique Ability: "Plague Wind"

Mortarion's greatest sorcerey is the "Plague Wind" spell. Once per turn in
the Shooting Phase, select one enemy unit within 15 cm of Mortarion. Roll
one die, trying to beat its armour value (1=automatic miss/6=automatic hit,
unless there is a "Save" to be rolled for). If the die roll beats the
target units' armour value it is destroyed. (If the taget unit has a "Save"
you may roll for this.) If the first target is destroyed by the "Plague
Wind" another unit within 15 cm of the destroyed unit may be selected.
Repeat the process, rolling to beat its armour value. Continue on like
this until a target unit fails to be destroyed, or there are no more
eligible targets within 15 cm of the last destroyed unit.

Notes:
I can see very easily how this would work against any targets without any
type of shields and a DC of only 1. Shields and higher DC pose a problem.
Well, now that I've gone over this it does not appear to be quite as easy
as I thought.
The effect of the ability in question is easy enough to work into the
existing rules, but the biggest concerns that I can see at the moment are:

1) When "exactly" the ability (should be/can be) played.
2) And of course, the cost of each of these three Primarchs.

Your suggestions, comments, & constructive criticism are requested.

Richard