[Epic] Primarch (Jervis) Johnson speaks ....

From: <oki_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:00:06 +0800

I got this from 40K list. Straight from Jervis from here on.

Epic Squats - I *really* wish that didn't sound like something you get
after going for fifteen pints and a curry, but it does! And that, in a
funny way, is the problem.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I note that many of you have heard that
Squats are not included in the army lists in the new Warhammer Epic 40,000
game, and are worried that this means that we're writing them out of the
40K universe for good.

Well, don't worry, the Squats have not gone for good, they are simply on a
back-burner. We've done this because, to be blunt, we *hate* the background
for the Squats in 40K, especially the way it makes what should be a proud
and noble race come across as pint-sized bikers who are the lackies of the
Imperium.

Now, I don't know about you, but we think that the Squats deserve a lot
better than this. We think they deserve to be a race that _demands_
respect, and can get it! However, in order to do this we need to come up
with a spin on the Squat background that generates that respect, while at
the same time leaving the bulk of the exisiting background intact.
Fortunately, Andy C, talented fellow that he is, has come up with a very
nice short story that manages to achieve just that, and which will serve as
the basis for the new Squat Codex *when we get a chance to write it*.

And there's the rub, because the amount of work the Squats will require for
us to achieve what we want is considerably greater than would be required
to just 'bash out' a codex based on the exisiting background. Realistically
this means that we won't be able to get out the Squat Codex for a year or
two yet, and possibly longer. <Ducks for cover as Squat players scream in
anguish> Yes I know, I know, it's a long time. But what do you think we
should do: rush out a Codex we won't be happy with just 'cause there's a
demand for it?; or wait until we've got time to do it right?

Well, we've elected for waiting until we got enough time to do the Squat
Codex right, and *that's* why there are no Squats in Epic. Basically, until
we've done the Codex we can't write the Epic army lists. On the other hand,
this means that the Squat Codex will include an appendix with the Epic army
lists, becoming the first 40K/Epic 40K dual-purpose Codex!

Hope tht helps,

Jervis