RE: [Epic] Hot wire

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:13:36 -0400

> Does any one know about building a home made hot wire for cutting
> Styrofoam? I have the wire which is typically used in the store bought
> models, as far as a power supply (ex. transformer) what is
> needed. I would
> prefer that over a battery. Also any tips on the construction.

Sorry, no tips. But I have been thinking of trying to make one that has a
point, instead of a loop. Take some sort of thin rod (maybe metal, if the
other end doesn't contact metal) and make it stick out of the handle, and
have the wire angle up towards it on one side, down on the other.

    /I\
   / I \
  / I \

Like that, except much narrower (wires are closer to rod in middle at the
bottom). With the thing I've got, I can't poke a hole, and there are tons
of inaccessible parts if I'm cutting something other than stryofoam sheets.

> Richard R.Biesik
> Electronics Purchaser
> Leica

I was just moments ago talking to a co-worker about something done for your
company, one of our customers.

andy