Re: [Epic] The tyrannids are coming ...

From: Django Wexler <rtcodj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:05:19 -0400

Someone said "I thought the Tyranids sucked...." Not quite true. They suck
now, compared to the old SM/TL system, and if you don't use the rules change
about vortex missiles then bio-titans are worse than useless, but if you do,
than the bugs are decent. However, since the new epic came out, I've been
playing tyranids and have discovered some stuff. First off, it is almost
impossible for the tyranids to win if you are playing under the morale system
described in the game. In that system, the objectives are almost irrelevent,
and what any sensible marine/eldar player will do is sit on his baseline and
shoot you to pieces. (I once faced a marine/IG army with 3 detachments
consisting of 5 seige artillary, 5 heavy artillary, 2 vortex missile launchers,
and 3 hydras each.) If you play under any kind of more balanced victory system,
with scenarios, etc., which stops opposing armies from simply sitting and
shooting, the Tyranids can win.

For marines/IG against tyranids, I suggest (don't take these to seriously, Ive
never played marine/IG, just against them a lot)
    Devestator detachments, lots of them
    Artillary, go to the IG for this, don't use whirlwinds
    Put flak in the artillery units to deal with myctic spores
    Thunderhawk gunships, defended by fighters (Imperial fighters will almost
always shoot before any tyranid flyer, so the can protect the gunships) to take
out batteries of biovores