Re: [Epic] Confessions of a scale illiterate

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 22:33:44 -0600

WolfSamurai wrote:

> Okay after all the discussion of scales of games and the like I realised
> that I have no idea what constitutes scale. What scale is Epic? And while
> we're thinking of it what scale are those Daimyo Reaper minis? The same
> scale as you're planning on using Thane?
>
> Aaron Roudabush aka WolfSamurai
>
> The Master of the Spirit Blades Space Marine Chapter
> Epic 40,000 General of Task Force Grey Wolf
> Writer, Editor, and PR Representative for Resonator Software
>
> "Peace through Superior Firepower"

Saddly, the Daimyo miniatures are 25's not 15's. Basically, as I have been
told, the millimeter scale given is the game size that relates to 6 feet (the
height of an average man in these games. Thus a 6' tall man is 25mm in a 25
mm game and 6 mm in a 6 mm game. This isn't religeously obeyed by anyone;
Chronopia miniatures look to be around 30mm, GW and Reaper Dark Heaven 27 or
28mm, Daimyo is close to 25mm, Reaper Shadow Corp(based on dwarves) is about
18mm, Ral Partha Battlesystem is pretty close to 15mm. Most historical lines
that I know of try pretty hard to stay 15, but variations crop up in almost
all lines, depending on the sculptor.

My friend Mel (now at AI) has ordered some 15mm historical oriental's, if
you want you should check with him to see what they look like.

If you want to help play test this game, I've got two full armies,
goblin/troll and Dwarf. Also, Alpha Omega is going out of business (saddly),
and have 40% off of most miniature lines. I've ordered several blisters
successfully from AI and can get them even easier through reaper (but Im
trying to support AI a bit.) I'll be there on Saturday at about 12.

We should probably do another epic game soon. I need to get all of my
warhounds based, so I can at least try the eight of them together. Have you
found any games recently?

Thane