Re: [Epic] Epic40k Titan

From: <oki_at_...>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 04:44:59 +0800

At 11:00 AM 2/28/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>It says in the compitition text below the picture in WD 207, that it
>>is indeed a Warlord.
>>BTW I also quite like the model.

(SNIP)

>Once, the Imperium was fighting a losing war over the span of countless
>millenia, giving up a dozen worlds every year to implacable foes who gave
>no quarter. Its citizens and its bureaucracy offered up their blind
>adulation to a Carrion God who stood mutely over a universe of slaughter.
>Ignorance was a man's armor, to shield his weak soul against the predations
>of Chaos. In the name of the Emperor, hundreds of trillions were oppressed
>and repressed and enslaved to His worship.
>
>It's not like that anymore. The Imperium today is no worse off than any
>other vaguely bleak futuristic setting. Sure, thousands die every day, but
>it's less fatalistic now. Moral ambiguity is a thing of the past. A
>benevolent Emperor guards steadfastly over the good guys.
>
>Once, Space Hulk was my favorite GW game, with a foreboding story as the
>introduction of every mission, painting the Space Marines up to be
>dogmatic, ritualistic warriors of the One True Emperor. Space Hulks were
>the heart of the unknown enemy. Genestealers were insiduous enemies, who
>rotted away at human society like disease eating through the inside of a
>tree - they had three articles in White Dwarf, and charts detailing the
>four generations of Hybrids. The atmosphere of the second Space Hulk
>computer game, incidentally, is a pale shadow of the first.

(SNIP)

>Games Workshop has messed up the Imperium, they've messed up Space Hulk,
>and they've messed up Genestealer Cults. The rules were always secondary
>to the look and feel, for me. If they turn the Reaver into another
>Battlemech, then GW will have turned their backs on everything I like about
>the Warhammer 40K universe. When that happens, I'll take a good look at
>the rules, and then see if I can't find some I like better.
>

>Howard

Until I read it, Howard, I have never quite see (realised) it that way. But
come to think about it - why did most of us choose Epic, WH40K, Space Hulk
over some other games ? Clear rules ? Balanced game-play ? Cheap and good
miniatures ? Adeptus Sororitas (Babelicious nuns with gunz :P )?

I think most of us know the answer (even if I am too dumb to realise it
until now :))

Regards
Oki
p.s. I wouldn't recommend taking such a drastic step if the GW did indeed
screw things up for Reaver. You could always use your existing Reavers or
stock up on the old ones. Drat ! I am still hoping that GW will do an offer
for their old, unwanted lead Titans. And their all their lead miniatures for
goodness sake.